DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Thanks a lot Loquiter!

Temp settled in at around 70 deg with the outside temp being around 65 deg.

I took a small taste test and I thought it might be a little strong, I am told it will mellow.

I will pass along the final results.

Thanks for the encouragement...

Hey Camel City,

Thanks very much for posting this. I suspect by now that you've sampled the cheese after it mellowed a while next to your favorite beer! Any chance you could provide an update on your results? I'm definitely intrigued to give this a try and would be interested to hear your thoughts on your batch and any changes you might make for next time.

Thanks in advance!

Paella Chicken, shrimp, chorizo, asparagus, peas, red peppers. Of course the usual onions, garlic, tomatoes and such too. I used brown rice, so I had to par-cook the rice in stock along with the shrimp shells, and a bit of toasted saffron for about 25 minutes. That way I could add it to the paella and treat it as white rice as far as cooking time/liquid required. fetch?id=67058

post-6451-139082398026_thumb.jpg

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details Fridge meat.. I smoke up a chicken and pork loin on a regular basis to have the meat in the fridge for snacking and salads.. fetch?id=67090 More Piggy loin for sammies.. fetch?id=67092 This is the third shoulder I've brined with a 3% salt solution in the last two months.. no nitrates. But this time I boiled two big hand-fulls of chipotle with the brine.. gave the ham a great warmth! fetch?id=67091

post-6370-139082398887_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082398891_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082398894_thumb.jpg

Dennis' date=' that chicken has a real browning to it, making look like you cooked at high temperature? Or is that colour just the result of smoking at low temperature, with smoke going for a long time?[/quote']

I warm up the birdy first and then throw it into the freezer with icepacks on the breasts for 10 minutes.. This gives you a room temp core but chills the breast and outside.. (Let's me smoke longer without actually cooking the bird.)

I put it into the grill at smoking temps for about 40 minutes, I then bring the grill up to about 325ºf (162ºC) until it hits 145-150ºf (147ºC)

I then crank it up about 400ºf (200ºC) until it hits 160ºf (71ºC) and pull it.

The bird's temp will float up over the required 165ºf (73ºC)

While she agrees it's completely cooked and there is no blood in the joints, my wife Sai likes her chicken meat "more firm" and compares KK roasted chicken to sushi texture (read very moist and tender) So I often bring it up another 15-20ºf for her.. a 190º bird will have more of a grilled texture than roasted but still be very moist and juicy.

If I have time I brine 24 hours in a very chipotle infused 3% brine.. Gives the meat a warm little zip :lol::lol:

*At a cooking temperature between 300 and 350 degrees F it takes a chicken around 20 to 30 minutes per pound to cook.

**The best place to put the thermometer is into the thickest, densest part of the chicken. I place it just between the breast, the leg, and the thigh.

***Chicken fat's smoke point is also 400ºf (200ºC)

fetch?id=67127

Fresh Wahoo (Ono) from the docks today. 2 big filets....about 4 pounds. about 15 minutes as the temp rose from 325 to 500....just a little olive oil salt pepper and garlic

post-7115-139082399107_thumb.jpg

It's a big gamefish, looks kind of like a barracuda or a king mackerel. Very long and slender. Fun to catch and tasty too! In the lower 48 we call them wahoo, in Hawaii they go by the name ono. I caught one in Maui once and had it cooked that night at Mama's Fish House. Some of the best I ever ate.