DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

fetch?id=67493fetch?id=67492

Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

nice spider....and ribs.... Mine were super simple. Salt pepper onion powder and paprika. On coffee wood from 150 degrees till stable at 250.... Cooked 250 dome for 5 hours till done...no foiling no muss or fuss... sauce on the side at the table Happy Independence Day everyone!

post-7115-139082405297_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082405303_thumb.jpg

fetch?id=67494 Re: Turkey Thigh Roasts

These are two 2 lb turkey thigh roasts rubbed with olive oil and Montreal chicken seasoning and done on the KK at 350 to 175 deg per the package instructions. It was the first time I've ever seen this cut. They came off the grill looking quite nice but they were terribly tough and dry - nothing in taste or texture like a turkey thigh from a whole roasted turkey. We choked down a just few bites and then the next day I tossed the rest of it in the Cuisinart and chopped it up. Not a bad turkey salad although my husband is complaining that this turkey has an aftertaste. I also salvaged the juices from the roasting pan which started out as a little OJ. They were tasty. It's been a long time since I've been disappointed in a KK cook but it surely wasn't the KK's fault.

post-6735-139082405309_thumb.jpg

fetch?id=67495 Pork Shoulder for Slicing

This is an 8 lb bone in pork shoulder which was marinated in a mojo citrus type sauce with lots of oregano, cumin and garlic, tied up and roasted on the KK at 325 Stoker to 175 deg. I mounted the Stoker pit temp probe higher than normal and noted that the KK thermo was reading 300 the whole time while the Stoker read 325. It took between 5 and 6 hours. Then it rested on the counter under a loose foil tent for an hour. I sliced it and served it with Cuban style black beans and rice. It was wonderful - packed with flavor!! I actually think I prefer the pork shoulder sliced to pulled for an at home dinner for 2 though I don't think the pulled pork can be beat for a crowd. This shoulder didn't have much of a layer of fat. Next time I will get one with the big, thick layer of skin (that has scared me in the past) and I'll score it Molly Stevens style and see what happens!! I'll let ya know!! Susan

post-6735-139082405318_thumb.jpg

http://recipes.aarp.org/recipes/cuban-s ... c-shoulder

Doesn't this look great? You KNOW how good it would taste!! The starting at 450 and then dropping the temp to 250 in the KK intimidates me. When I do it I will likely start it in the kitchen oven for the hi temp part and then move it to the KK unless somebody else tries it successfully or posts about how to do the hi temp part at the end of the cook.

Hope this link is opening for you. I have 6 computers in my house and it opens in 5 of them.

fetch?id=67499fetch?id=67500 Re: Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

Himalayan Salt Block Scallops We had been given a Himalayan Salt Block as a gift a few years back, just got around to using it. Did scallops yesterday as part of a fish/seafood themed dinner. for a first go on this type of cooking, the flavor was terrific. put fresh ground pepper and olive oil on the scallops, had them at room temperature before putting them on the salt block. Put the salt block on the main grill, no heat deflector, dome temp was at 550f. I think taking the temp a little higher next time may give more color to the scallops. Our next try may be small filet cubes.

post-6588-139082405344_thumb.jpg

post-6588-139082405358_thumb.jpg

fetch?id=67507

Impromptu baby back cook the other day. This is what I love about the KK. Rubbed them, threw them on at 250, closed her, came back 5 hours later and this is what they looked like. Meat came off bone with a gentle tug. Perfect flavor, smoke, tenderness and sooooo easy.

post-6687-139082405505_thumb.jpg

fetch?id=67517fetch?id=67516 Re: Potatoes and Leeks

I wasn't going to post this cook because it is more of the same of my 1/4 splitter basket, sear grill, 425 dome, 2 min/side rib eyes. But the potatoes and leeks that I made to accompany them were fantastic and I know your ladies and daughters will love them. They are fairly light for a potato dish and the luscious texture from the leeks and onions belies the fact that they don't have much butter or any cream in the prep. 3 leeks, white part cut in half and sliced in 1/2" lengths 3 onions, sliced 3 T olive oil 1.5 T flour 1.5 c chicken stock 8 potatoes sliced Hasselback style 2 T melted butter Season to taste as you go In an ovenproof skillet, saute the leeks and onions in the olive oil over med heat about 15 min. Mix in the flour and cook a couple of minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens. Add the potatoes. Spoon 1 scant t of melted butter over each potato. Place the skillet in a preheated 400 deg oven or on the KK and bake for about 1 hour. My potatoes were small so they were done in about 40 min. I turned the oven down to 150 and left them in there for at least another 45 min and they didn't suffer at all for it. Note about the potatoes: Slice them between the butts of two butter knives or whatever else you have handy so you don't cut down too far on them. Do ahead note: You can do most of this ahead of time. In the morning I did the leeks and onions completing the sauce step and left them on the stove, and also sliced the potatoes and left them in a bowl of cold water. When it was time to roast them, I brought the leek/onion mixture to a simmer on top of the stove, added the potatoes and butter and slipped the skillet in the oven - easy as can be. Enjoy!! Susan

post-6735-13908240571_thumb.jpg

post-6735-139082405718_thumb.jpg

Doc - when you are slicing these potatoes, you need to stop the knife before it gets to the bottom or you will have cut down too far and the potatoes will fall apart. Slicing the potato between the butt end of the knives lets you slice quickly and still keep the base of the potato intact with the top fanning out slightly.

In an effort to make my brain go click:

If we imagined a huge potato with a rolling pin on either side of the potato, we would cut across the potato such that the knife would stop cutting once it hit the rolling pins?

I believe that is it, now to find the huge potato, 2 rolling pins and a big knife :)

YES!!!!! You put the potato on the counter. Then put the butt end of the butter knife on either side of the potato - lengthwise. Then cut across the potato crosswise. You will have perfect slices which are all the same depth but not so deep as to cut through the potato and ruin the effect. Plus, you can do it quickly without worrying about the cuts. I'd love a pic of your set up with the giant rollings pins!! :D

Susan