DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

56 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Quick Thursday night cook..............skirt steaks (for dinner) and chicken breasts (for lunch salads) over cherry wood.  

Didn't do to bad on the timing.........placed the thinner steaks over a small drip pan and placed the chicken directly over the fire.  Both were ready and came off the grill at the same time.  Miracles do still happen :).

Picture just before flipping the steaks.

Quick aside...............interesting Christmas gift from one of my daughters.  Have to figure out the best way to test........ put the different salts on the same type of meat for accurate comparison?????

That's the way I would do it. We went to a restaurant on Amelia Island a couple of years ago named Salt. They brought an assortment of salts to the table to try along with recommendations for each dish. We enjoy our sodium intake so it was a great experience. Some of them go a long way so you don't want to overpower the course.

I did that a few years back when the funky salt craze was going on. I find that there's more of a textural difference than a taste difference between many of them, with the exception being Indian Black Salt that has a fair amount of sulfur in it and the smoked ones. If anyone is interested in giving this a go, here's where I get most of my off the wall salts -

https://www.seasalt.com/gourmet-salt/gifts-samplers.html

So the wife wanted a steak the other night. I'm not sure why I don't get pics when the food is on the KK. Anyways, A steak, baked (KK) potatoes, grilled (KK) asparagus, and mushrooms.

The steaks were salted and rested for a few hours then patted dry and re-seasoned before going on the grill

Steaks.jpg

Asparagus, mushrooms, and onion at the ready. Oh...and a Lagunitas little sumpin' sumpin' for the nerves.

Veggies.jpg

Mushrooms and onion get sautéed on the wood stove.

Shrooms.jpg

And on the plate

Plated.jpg

Plated1.jpg

It was tasty and the wife enjoyed it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon B. said:

I love mushrooms....especially on steaks (your meal looks wonderful)..........but Redhead Sue is deathly allergic to them

Thanks. I have a redheaded Sue also. We both love mushrooms so we pretty much have them every time we have steak.

Edited by Paul

5 hours ago, Paul said:

Oh...and a Lagunitas little sumpin' sumpin' for the nerves.

:smt023:smt023

About to put a strip steak in the sous vide for dinner tonight. Best part - using the jus in the bag to season the sauteed mushrooms to go on top! 

@MacKenzie - chicken came out very nice. Again, best part was using the jus in the bag to season the sauteed kale - wicked! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tony b said:

About to put a strip steak in the sous vide for dinner tonight. Best part - using the jus in the bag to season the sauteed mushrooms to go on top!

I've got to get a SV. Using the jus to sauté the mushrooms in would be fantastic!

Most of us here that have immersion circulators have the Anova. We all like them a lot and they're not terribly expensive. Saw them for under $100 during the Christmas sales.

I just got this one for my nephew for his birthday. He's just getting started with sous vide cooking, so I went with a less expensive one. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6AZ8CL

8 minutes ago, tony b said:

Most of us here that have immersion circulators have the Anova

Yeah I'm dragging my feet.

I looked at the one you got your nephew and it looks nice. I was also looking at this one ;

ttps://www.amazon.com/Anova-Culinary-PCB-120US-K1-Bluetooth-Precision/dp/B00UKPBXM4

Is one way better than the other? The price is close.