DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

You should move here, MacKenzie. My local supermarket has an awesome cheese section and Chris, the department manager, is a certified cheese expert. Here's the menu for one of their upcoming dinners - all based on cheddar cheeses!! Bought my ticket this morning after shopping.

"Everything Cheddar" Dinner!

Thursday November 9th, 2017
6:30-8:30 pm

Menu:

Appetizers:
*Cheddar-Cranberry Stuffed Apricots
*Sweet Peppers stuffed with
Pancetta and Cheddar
*Cheddar Terrine with Sundried Tomatoes
and Pine Nuts

Soup/Salad/Bread:
*Sweet Potato Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Soup
*Mortadella, Cheddar, and Pecan Salad with
Maple Syrup and Cider Vinegar Dressing
*Cheddar Soda Bread

Entrée:
*Cheddar Mac' and Cheese
(with rosemary, thyme, and pancetta)

Dessert:
*Karst with Shallot and Red Wine Confit
*Dunbarton with Pear, Honey and Ginger Compote
*Barber 1833 Vintage Cheddar with
Apple/Cranberry Fruit Spread
*Prairie Breeze with Fig and Black Tea Jam

Adult Beverages:
Wilson's Orchard Hard Cider
Millstream Brewing Co. Vienna Lager

• Like 1

Just the regular supermarket here, but they remodel/revamp their stores every few years to keep up with trends. While this one is closest to my house, it's not the latest-n-greatest model. Those have an actual bar & restaurant in them (Market Grill) and the stores are laid out more like a Whole Foods (islands versus isles). Mine has the older version - food court style with a deli, pizza, Asian food counters with central booths, tables & chairs. But, we seem to get all the latest grocery offering. Latest thing is a dedicated Italian section with lots of imported pastas, sauces, sodas, breadsticks, etc.

Nicest thing about these stores are that they are Employee-Owned and Department Managers are given lots of flexibility on what to stock, etc. Example, Chris the cheese manager, is free to order just about anything he wants for the cheese section; but, he's held accountable for it to actually sell. The store is cracking open a full 85lb wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano, using the traditional method of mallets and chisels/spikes to crack the cheese open to preserve the crystalline structure. Should be fun to watch and get tasty samples!!!

• Like 2

Those duck fries have been on my mind all day so I decided to try a batch from scratch. Started with a russet potato, cut the fries, soak in cold water, boil 2-3 mins in vinegar water, dry, coat with duck fat, fry in air fryer for about 16 mins @ 350F. Served with a KK grilled beer sausage and sauerkraut salad.

59fe5b27be212_DuckFatFriesandBeerSausage.thumb.jpg.6badde277cea50dcb79037cde79f2fbd.jpg

This the best from scratch air fryer fries I have made to date.

Had Crème Brûlée last evening for a nice dinner finish.

59fe5b24d7507_CremeBrule.thumb.jpg.cac28b184db87abb17c7aa1a999a079e.jpg

• Like 2

More duck fat fries tonight. I had leftover cut fries and froze them last night. Thawed them out today and they were kind of mushie so I put them in the dehydrator. Over did that but now I know it will work. Coated them with duck fat and air fryed @350F for 16 mins.

Did the burgers on the KK but with the time change it is pitch black outside so skipped the pixs.

This is my last ripe tomato from the garden. I am going to miss them. :(

5a0083264e5ad_SomethingMissing.thumb.jpg.63dbeaec8a9dfbf0278178049c723864.jpg

Plated.

5a0082e960592_BurgerNight.thumb.jpg.489cb93b259c6997f1230f7c96232dfd.jpg

5a0082e67e306_BurgerCloseUp.thumb.jpg.d9745ff9ee77c36f3bb9522ab90271e3.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1