DennisLinkletter

Everyday Misc Cooking Photos w/ details

It was another snow day here and the deck has been cleaned off. Time for lunch so let's roll the Little One up to the sliding glass door. :)

Snow Day Again.jpg

Did the last of the hot Italian sausages. I will use one and the partial one in another batch of Quarter Hour Chili. This time I will have the sausage precooked and maybe with a little smoke flavour.

P1020322.jpg

Plated for lunch. 

Added some French's Onion Bits to the sausage roll and plate.

Lunch.jpg

I should add that tomorrow we are going to have one of the coldest days of the year. It is going to be -34C. It is awful early in the season for that, winter hasn't even started yet.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 3

Thanks, Steve and just look at what I saw out the kitchen window as I was getting breakfast. Shots are not the sharpest due to wicked wind blowing the feeder around but you get the idea. This goldfinch has it's feathers are all fluffed up. It was an extra windy and cold morning, -34C.

Goldfinch Eating.jpg

Goldfinch.jpg

Now here comes a male pheasant for breakfast. :) On Wed. a friend and I were having coffee in the sunroom and 8 of these showed up at the cracked corn dish. What a fun watch, they are so beautiful.

Breakfast.jpg

Pheasant.jpg

• Like 3

That is just too cool. I expect they all consider you their best friend this time of year.

My mom has been keeping a few feeders going for years and gets tons of hummingbirds in the summer and everything from birds to black bears year round. I've never seen a pheasant visit one though.

23 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I should add that tomorrow we are going to have one of the coldest days of the year. It is going to be -34C. It is awful early in the season for that, winter hasn't even started yet.

Got me beat, but not by much, MacKenzie. Low tomorrow night here will be minus 15F and Sunday's high temp will only be minus 6F. :cold: 

Too damned cold for man or beast! My butt is hunkering down for the weekend.

Dutch Kryptonite

Not a KK cook, but worth showing. I was raised in an ethnic Dutch family in the south suburbs of Chicago which are (or were) largely Dutch. One of the neighboring towns was "South Holland", many of my friends had last names that started with "De " or "Van ", and my mother's side of the family bore the almost unpronounceable last name of the town they emigrated from on the ship Massachusetts of Boston in 1849, losing 3 out of 4 children at sea. Family Christmas gatherings were always full of Dutch treats like Jan Hagel and Speculaasjes, but the King of all was Banket, which I call Dutch kryptonite for the effect it has on many a Dutchman. Banket consists of an almond paste (NOT marzipan) filling and a flaky outer pastry. It is a rite of passage to bake and Sinterklaas is likely not to come until it is present in your home. 

Part of the process is that some of the filling MUST leak...cook's treat. These will be sliced later, and if there's any left (and I remember) I'll post another pic.

IMG_1851.JPG

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

I will start this post again this morning, started it last night but could not get the pixs to upload even after several attempts.

This is pure evil after all those holiday eats. :evil:

I'm here all by myself.

Chicken Sandwich.jpg

but not for long.

Fries on Salt Plate.jpg

I was given a salt plate for Xmas and I thought I'd give it a try to keep some fries warn while another batch was cooking. Heated the plate for 30 mins at 400F so it would be nice and warm. In the end I'm not sure it was worth it.

Plated.

Hot Chicken Dinner.jpg

and dressed. 

Ketchup.jpg

:smt077

I was visiting a friend yesterday and we decided for lunch we'd have coffee and a plate of sweets, that was the total lunch.:) I better get back to my senses today. :)

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 2