Majestik

On the Chuckwagon

So there I was on vacation in the wasteland known as Texas....

I vowed to give the ol' chuck roll a try at Porkchop's urging. And I had to find a way to cook in a ceramic while on vacation just to spite ceramic-less Drunk_J. :wink:

For the record: Drunk_J-- your 'Joe cooks looked amazing. And could you please post that cajun beans recipe in a separate thread for me? Despite some of the cretinous bluster about it, I thought it looked wonderful.

Anyway, my inlaws had purchased a #5 mexi-K from a dealer some 5 or 6 years ago, and my father-in-law hadn't used it hardly at all. Don't understand why, but that's not my place. Anyway, this green #5 has just been there sitting fallow on the deck overlooking Lake Texoma for quite awhile. I was happily surprised to find everything in good working order. The spin top spun just fine, the spring operated properly. No apparent cracks or tile loss. Quite surprising, actually. Oh, the green grout had somehow turned yellow, but that's about it. It was just kinda ugly, but workable.

img56769wk.jpg

Except... inside were 2 colonies of mud-daubers and 3 colonies of paper wasps... the crowning glory being a cantaloupe size paper wasp colony hanging in the middle of the dome. My fatherinlaw flushed 'em out and I spent the morning saturday flushing the K thoroughly with a hose, cleaning grills, clearing firebox holes and such. Filled the unit to the lip with oak wood and set it ablaze... I let go all day full bore, open top and drafts to "sterilize" it. The wasps were persistent though.. we had to combat wasp-scouts returning to the K for the next few days. But it was worth it.

So I went to Sam's Club and couldn't find a chuck roll. Asked the butcher and he went in back and brought me one all sealed in cryovac plastic. It was a monster-- 18 lbs! This is hands down the largest hunk of meat I have ever attempted.

Sunday morning I rubbed it down with a good dry rub, got the #5 sputtering away with a heat deflector in place and threw the "beast" on the grill... it barely fit in the #5:

img57266dm.jpg

Side note: I also did up these ABTs which came out fantastic:

img57604pl.jpg

Anyway, the chuck roll was in there with a full load of royal-oak lump and several large chunks of hickory. The little K puffed away for about 7 hours. The temp stayed at about 350F, actually. Not what I intended, but a subject for a different, more melancholy post to come later...

So it was on at 11ish-am and pulled at about 6:30pm. It was truly spectacular. It looks like it lost almost a 3rd of its mass in drippings. I hope these photos can convey the sheer juicy sweetness that was this roast:

img57646db.jpg

I took this beautiful hunk of flesh inside and proceeded to easily pull it apart with a fork and knife. It was truly succulent. Everyone raved. Absolute perfection in beef. The sandwiches were unbelieveable. It really did pull like a fine pork roast. And it was hands down the best thing I've ever pulled out of a kamado:

img57650qa.jpg

For scale, that green dish is approximately 18" x 14", and that is a giant fork stuck in the roast. So I am really doubtful that I will ever do a brisket again. There is simply no comparison. You have GOT to try it. We had a dozen folks gorging on this for 2 days.

I am so pleased that Pork Chop turned me on to this, that I removed the picture of him wearing Fanny Bush underwear.

:P

One more day...

I bought one of these from BJs ($1.99/lb) last weekend, intending to cook it on the 4th. I am going to open it tonight, put it on a rack, and and let it dry overnight, them hit it with some rub in the morning. Saturday...Clermont Florida will be awash with the scent of beef BBQ

maj, glad you tried that chuck roll. pics look great! there is something about the taste and texture of that finished chuck roll that beats chopped beef brisket, in my book anyhow.

what kind of sauce did you dress it with, if any? imagine how slow and sweet one of those would cook up on a KK with the fine adjust knob! yum!

ps, i've got the thong-cave-chop as my wallpaper!

Nice

Man, I sure wish I had something to cook that on! It looked delicious! One question, can you get that much smaller? It is just me and the wife here, I love cooking beef, but like something smaller. My coworkers love me on brisket day - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

I will try to get the Red Beans and Rice into a text doc so I can post it.

Re: I may get in trouble

TNW, if this is already on your site, sorry, I didn't check first

This is just another site with beef cuts of it. Maybe we need these sorta things put in a certain place so we can get back to them easily. Pork cutts, frog leg cuts, whatever

http://www.cbef.com/products.htm

I think we scared him off - I have not seen him for a while!

So, do you think that a chuck roast might cook up the same? Since I know I can get a small chuck roast.

-=Jasen=-

I'm wondering if a chuck roast is just a cut up chuck roll.

I called Midway here in Buffalo a few miles down the road. I'm sure your wife has eaten there. They had chuck roast, the grocery store had chuck roast, but I can't find a chuck roll either.

I'm wondering if a chuck roast is just a cut up chuck roll.

I called Midway here in Buffalo a few miles down the road. I'm sure your wife has eaten there. They had chuck roast, the grocery store had chuck roast, but I can't find a chuck roll either.

It is funny how things are so different in other areas of the country. I have looked everywhere around here for flatiron steaks or tritips and they just look at you like your an alien (well, they look at Curly like that anyway).

-=Jasen=-