TheNakedWhiz

Paella, pan size, etc.

I got a PM about paella pan sizes, so I thought I'd spill what I know here, in case anyone else is interested. Here's a link to my webpage on paella:

Paella on Ceramic Cookers

The question came up as to the largest pan size you could use on a KK. The question is tricky because, while pans are labeled as 17" or 13", that doesn't include the size of the handles. What's more, different brands of pans have different handles with different measurements.

The largest pan I would use on the KK is my 17" pan. Here's a photo:

paellapan.jpg

As you can see, you might be able to squeeze an 18" pan in there (if the handles are the same as these handles) but then you would not be able to move the pan around. You will probably want to be able to rotate the pan in order to deal with any slight out-of-level condition (your frying oil may all run to one side) and to deal with any unevenness in the heat from the fire. So, the pan in the photo is the ideal size, as far as I am concerned.

Also, the many sources of pans claim widely different numbers of servings for the same size pan. It all depends on a) is the paella the only thing you are serving? B) how much "stuff" you put in your paella, and c) how hungry are you and your guests. If you are serving only the paella and you have healthy appetites, the 17" pan probably will only serve 4-6 people. Especially if you are serving it in the traditional style of placing the pan in the middle of the table and eating from the pan. (This also assumes you are making paella in the traditional way of having only a thin layer of rice in the pan.)

And finally, I have not owned an enameled pan. I was drawn to the traditional steel pan, aesthetically, so that's all I've tried. And the cheap side of me couldn't see buying a stainless steel pan, certainly not until after I had tried paella and found out what size really suits me. So, at this point, I've only ever owned the polished steel pans. They hold up very well. I always give them a wipe with a few drops of oil before putting them away, and rust has not been a problem. But if I were buying my first pan, I think I'd buy a tradtional steel pan, and only invest in a more expensive pan after I had determined the right size for me.

Or, if your pan with handles is cast iron, and too big like mine was, I just cut the handles off, leaving nubs to grab. I also smoothed out the nubs with a grinder.

Of course I checked first with Lodge; they did not recommend it. I don't know why. I said heck with it, if the pan don't fit it's no good to me anyway so gave it a try anyway. I can report, after a seasoning, it worked well in my case.

Of course I checked first with Lodge; they did not recommend it.

You're thinking too much like Dennis, see a problem and find a solution. Lodge is probably thinking more like a corporation, if they cay it's OK and you cut yourself on a burr on the nubs or spill hot paella all over yourself because there isn't a full handle they may be able to be held liable - or at least spend money defending themselves in court. If the handles were part of the mold you should be fine, but they may also be worried if they're welded on that the grinder vibrations may loosen the welds. "No" is always the safe answer for modifications but it's nice to know it's working for you. At least in your imagination (hint, hint!) :D

Hmm...

I was just looking at the stainless paella pans on paellapans.com, and then remembered I have a stainless heat deflector pan in its' virgin state, that came with my KK! It looks to be basically the same shape and depth as a paella pan. And, it's paid for! Anybody ever make paella in their stainless heat deflector?

Well, I will, and report on the results.

cooler

We'll see if this pan warps when used for paella. It will be farther from the heat than when used as a drip pan/ heat deflector; and will contain a fair bit of liquid as well. Those two things will cause it to run cooler than a straight heat deflector. Maybe it won't warp.

finished product

Well, you can buy a nice stainless paella pan for about $100.00, or a cheap carbon steel one for less than $20.00, or use your nice stainless KK heat deflector! Works perfect.

I used Arborio rice, which is not the exact recommended rice, but it came out fine. Not sticky nor creamy, just a nice al dente. This was a test cook, and I would say totally successful! The Naked Whiz article referenced above was my guide. I guess the key was that the ratio of liquid to rice was correct, per the Whiz. My wife thought there was a little too much smoke flavor, I did put one small chunk of mesquite in there. Next time I would just go with straight lump. That should give just a hint of outdoorsy flavor to it. Haven't tried paella on your KK? Do it!!!

1L_2YS.jpg

I'm glad you posted this Doc! I have been curious about making paellla since reading the Whiz's article. Then I wouldn't order a pan, come across the article again and wished I ordered the pan. Repeat this sequence several times and we are at today. Now I will try the heat deflector pan, that has never been used, for paella! Thanks!

Here is a source for the largest carbon steel Spanish paella pan that fits inside a KK:

Spanish Table Carbon Steel Paellera 50cm

That is, without the handles, which were a bear to saw off, then the lid closes. This happens to also be the largest size that fits into a K7, I was lucky to be able to redeploy.

One could buy stainless steel, and carbon steel can get a bit of surface rust during periods of misuse, but cleans up well and seasons more easily than stainless. And after seeing chipped enamel cookware in so many ill-equipped kitchens in my youth, I'd never go that way. For me, carbon steel is the sweet spot.

I've learned not to cook pizza at temperatures that ushered in the bronze age, but I still believe in thin crusts and spare toppings, at least in warmer weather. Same with paella: I honestly believe that the pan I recommend feeds four to six, not 14 as advertised. Seriously. Glop it on three times as high, and you're making the paella equivalent of Chicago pizza: tasty Spanish rice that could have come out of a microwave. Spaniards like a bit of tooth and crust as the paella nearly burns in spots.

We're still trying to get this crust right. Same "cycle of life" story throughout cooking: Beginners burn. Intermediate cooks know not to burn, and everything tastes like it came off a steam table. Great chefs burn, only when they do it you love it.

copper pan sizes

If you want a really nice copper paella pan, here is some good info!

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your message and for visiting LaTienda.com! The

measurements for the Copper Paella Pans are as follows:

PP-33 9.5" measures 13.25"

PP-34 11" measures 15"

PP-35 13.5" measures 17.5"

PP-37 12.6" measures 16"

PP-38 15.75" measures 20"

All of the above measurements are from handle to handle.

Should you need further assistance please feel free to contact us.

Lesa A Robinson

Customer Service Manager

[email protected]

LaTienda.com

3601 La Grange Parkway

Toano, Virginia 23168

Tel (757) 566-9606, Fax (757) 566-9603

Toll Free: 888 331-4362

Here is the webpage for the copper pans: http://www.tienda.com/paella/paella_pans.html

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Above are some pictures of the largest carbon steel Spanish paella pan that fits inside a KK, after sawing off handles: 50 cm.

Apparently Spanish Table only stocks this size now in stainless steel. La Paella does stock this size in carbon steel:

Spanish Table Stainless Steel Paellera 50cm

20" Carbon Steel Paella Pan (50cm)

This is 1/3 kilo of Bomba paella rice, in 6 cups of stock and water, with a splash of wine. Enough paella for two with leftovers, so there's no reason to buy a smaller pan. Add saffran and a teaspoon of salt to the stock. The rest of the recipe can be improvised; the above is olive, chorizo paella with a box of peas from the farmers market. Two TB of capers in salt from the Aeolian islands adds a nice note. Close the KK cover to cook the rice.

The salt bowl is from Dracula's castle. Go by scent to move from stage to stage; get an aid dog if you need one. Little dogs should get small servings.

Hi! Just wondering - is it the consensus of the forum that the paella be baked in the KK with the lid down? I've been making paella for a long time and consider it one of my specialties but I have never put it in an oven or covered the pan except maybe for a few minutes after I removed it from the heat source. I may be missing something!! I've yet to make one on the KK but am anxious to, as I'm anxious to do pizza, get my roti going and my new wok seasoned. My husband's favorites on the KK are easier than the above items so I have been gravitating toward those dishes and totally enjoying them.

Susan

Hi! Just wondering - is it the consensus of the forum that the paella be baked in the KK with the lid down?

Susan

I use Goya Med Grain Rice w/outstanding results.

I answer to your question: When doing Paella on the KK I use the pans that came from Dennis. I cook lid down but... at the end find I must take the heat up w/lid open to find the socarrat. With your experience you will be OK. After the first time or two you will have found YOUR way.

Note: I close lid but use no pan cover. I also reduce the water. (It doesn't steam away as on a stove top)

Hope this helps.

Hi! Just wondering - is it the consensus of the forum that the paella be baked in the KK with the lid down?

I cook lid down but... at the end find I must take the heat up w/lid open to find the socarrat.

Ahh, I love this forum, we have to try that.

I actually have four sizes of paella pans, I've just stopped using any but the largest. Plain? :roll: Laurie won't let me make rabbit and snails paella (for two distinct reasons), which is the plain classic. Coleman Andrews also refers to "wharf rat" paella, but that was a simpler time. I do believe the Spanish refer to the paella equivalent of Chicago pizza as "tourist" paella.

The classic Spanish approach is over a very open fire at the beach, definitely not covered. We'd been covering any pan that fit and loving the taste of the fire this introduced, then I made some for a party for six in this largest pan, and was crushed that it was somehow missing something. After the guests left, I stayed up sawing off the handles so I could close the lid next time.

Nevertheless, we've found socarrat elusive. Point taken.