Very interesting! A USB port is nice in that you could feasibly include a lot of different drivers (for example, an Ethernet interface or reading a cook profile off a USB memory stick or even just powering a USB grill light), but I'd much rather see a native Ethernet port and/or WiFi. Then again, if they can interface with my EVDO USB modem that would be very interesting indeed. It's also not quite as expandable as the Stoker with only two cookers and two food probes (or maybe one cooker and three food probes?) but that should be enough for most people.

All they really need is an open source software architecture so they can let their customers come up with all sorts of neat utilities and we'll be all set :)

I'm disappointed that they're discontinuing the Pit Minder E-temp.

I actually downsized to this, giving my fancier guru to a friend because I actively prefer the simplicity of twisting a dial, setting a temp, and that being the whole story.

I am not a Luddite. I've built many computers from scratch, and designed simple circuits such as a current mirror that can charge 8 AA cells from an iPod power supply, getting by with only 0.1 volts overhead. So I'm not afraid of complexity. I just think that complexity isn't needed in a pit controller; nothing beats a simple dial.

I rely on a dial as well, but it is the wooden one thats attached to the draft wheel on the lower damper of my KK :D

I would like to see the procomm get an update, with the Aluminum waterproof case, and some sort of network connectivity. Wireless around the house, networked when not, and loogin of the cook all under one housing. Now THAT would be the complete package!

WiFi

For you Mac people, the Airport Express unit has a USB port so you can probably wirelessly network the Cyber Q to your home network, then access it from any computer in the house, or from any computer anywhere using MobileMe! You would need to protect the Airport Express from the elements, but that should be an easy rig. The Airport Express unit can be used with Windows. For those not familiar with Airport Express:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321 ... MjE0NDc0OQ

It is a little two way radio using 802.11 technology to connect wirelessly to your network. It has a 1/8" audio jack, USB port, and an Ethernet port. I have them scattered all over the house, connected to powered speakers, for wireless whole house audio. I also have one connected to a printer in my office, so I can print from any computer in the house wirelessly. (Of course now we have printers with 802.11 built in that don't need the Airport Express.) Check it out.

Something I haven't quite been able to figure out about the CyberQ is what type of USB support it will have. A lot of people (myself included) have assumed it will be like a newer version of the Stoker and act like a small embedded computer with a robust set of drivers and an IP stack - effectively acting like a USB master device. This would probably mean that it should have a "Type A" USB connector on it and a special USB A-A crossover connector of sorts to talk to a laptop:

D_USB_PLUGS.JPG

If it has the Type B connector it's more likely that a lot of USB dreams will be squashed and all it can do is create something like a virtual serial port on a laptop. This would make it more of a dumb slave device and mean that you'd need an attached computer to do a lot of the interesting stuff but with new laptops available for a few hundred dollars that can have a recipe program and all sorts of other features this isn't necessarily a show-stopper. Of course, a connector is just a hardware design choice and it's possible to have either type of implementation with either connector type.

Either way I'm curious to see what the specs are one it's released.

I was all set to bet money that the CyberQ II would have an "A" type receptacle. That would accommodate the "A" Type plug that is most commonly used. However, after carefully reading BBQ Bob's reply posted here:

"We are working with 30-40 ft. USB to Mini USB cables for a wired connection."

It appears that the connector at the bottom of the CyberQ II will be a mini-usb receptacle. That may make things a bit more challenging when trying to create a wireless connection. :?

Bob posted more info today...sadly, it looks like the CyberQ will be letting a lot of us down on the connectivity/internet control possibilities. But at least it is a better way of managing the CyberQ settings and it seems to do trending.

Maybe they will revise it soon.

http://www.thebbqguruforums.com/viewtop ... =1564#1564

-=Jasen=-

Edit...I guess maybe he misspoke on his first post on the thread. In it he clearly states the ability to view/control the pit over the web. But in his latest post, he mentions it will not have web viewing/control.

Thanks Jasen -

I wish they would have solicited a little help from their user base - I know an engineer that could have put the CyberQ II software on an embedded web server. This would have added very little to the size of the unit (if at all) and the software would be a web-based client accessible without jumping through any hoops. A touch more work and WiFi could have been built in too!

Just the same, I truly wish the best for the BBQGuru guys. They are a great bunch and I enjoy their products -