LarryR

Coffee Cardamom Brisket

This is now my favorite brisket rub/paste, dinner guests raved about it, the flavor was out of this world. The recipe is from BBQ Bible Sauces Rubs and Marinades by Raichlen. It's a winner in my book!

½ cup ground coffee

½ cup kosher or sea salt (I cut this in 1/2)

½ cup packed dark brown sugar

¼ cup hot paprika

2 T ground cardamom

2 T ground ginger

1/3 cup chopped fresh garlic

½ cup veg. oil or as needed

Combine all ingredients except oil in food processor to mix. Add oil to make a thick paste. Rub on brisket and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Sanny good question, that is a bit confusing isn't it. The recipe calls for 1/2 a cup, I cut this in half, not a big fan of salt. I don't think it would matter if you went decaf. One of my guests said she was "buzzing" after she ate a few pieces of my brisket. I used a bold French Roast freshly ground.

The brisket has a smoky caramel flavor, very tasty. You won't win any bark or smoke ring recipes with this one as the oil in the rub/paste works against this but the flavor is out of this world. I rubbed my brisket(s) the night before.

A buddy of mine is going to try this on a ham soon, should be interesting.

Do you think this could be made oil-less?

It's a winner in my book!

½ cup ground coffee

½ cup kosher or sea salt (I cut this in 1/2)

½ cup packed dark brown sugar

¼ cup hot paprika

2 T ground cardamom

2 T ground ginger

1/3 cup chopped fresh garlic

½ cup veg. oil or as needed

Combine all ingredients except oil in food processor to mix. Add oil to make a thick paste. Rub on brisket and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Is there any reason that the dry ingredients could not be made up and NOT use the oil? I'm not sure I want to sacrifice my bark..

Or maybe just rub it down with some EVO then the dry rub..

;)

rub from heaven

I just whipped up a batch of this rub, reduced the salt and oil a little bit, made a thick paste. In the words of Tommy Boy, "Holy Shnikees!!!" the smell is out of this world. I used a blend of Yemen and Sumatra that I roasted yesterday, rested overnight and ground today. This is the old classic blend referred to as Mocha- Java. Mocha refers to any Arabian coffee that was shipped out of the historic port town of Mokka. It has nothing to do with chocolate. Java refers to any Indonesian origin coffee, my preference is Sumatra but they are all good! Also a brand fresh bottle of cardamom. This rub is slathered all over a chuck roast resting in the fridge. Around midnight I'll throw it on the Bronze Behemoth. This is the most aromatic, exotic rub/ paste ever! Full report to follow, maybe a few pics.

Now, to expound. What is Mokha? Al Mokha (Al-Mahka) is the port city that Yemeni coffee ships from! It has nothing to do with chocolate. Why is the coffee called Mokha? Because in the coffee trade it was too complicated to name all the little sub-regions where the coffee is actually grown, even though they do produce notably different coffees in terms of the cup. Many of the dry-process Ethiopian coffees will also call themselves Moka: Moka Harar etc. ...possibly to associate themselves with the taste profile they share with Yemens. How the heck do you spell Mokha? Well, it is spelled usually Mocca or Mocha or Moka ...but in fact the most correct spelling is the one you will never see: Al-Mahka, which is the truest to the Arabic spelling. Europeans drank coffee long before they ever were introduced to chocolate. When chocolate was introduced to Europe, some of the flavor nuances resembled the flavors of the Mokka coffee they were used to. Thus the connection of the term Mocha to chocolate. Mocha does not mean chocolate!!!

Doc, that was the most precise description/explanation of Mocha/Java I've read to date. And probably the most descriptive on any BBQ board! What an interesting group of aficionados we have assembled here! Now we need to learn more about cigars and single malt scotch, and for Sanny the dynamics of Teflon coated knitting needles!

Rubaroma

Let me just say that the coffee cardamom rub is not to be missed! Don't use some cheap ass Folgers. Get some good coffee. The aroma of this stuff, before you put in the garlic, is out of this world. In fact, I'm going to try it sans garlic just out of curiosity. And to reiterate what has been mentioned here before, a chuck roast beats a brisket for flavor and moistness, hands down. This is so easy and quick to whip up, you owe it to yourself to try it.

mguerra, I've been singing the praises of the chuck roll over the brisket for a few years now. But for a Texan to recommend a chuck over the Official State BBQ Meat of Texas, that is expert testimony!

Primeats, I may be able to help with some cigar info, but I can't help you with single-malt scotch (I prefer rum with my cigar :) )

Keith

Keith - You and I should get together some time. My day usually goes like this - Light the KK, make a rum and coke - put meat on KK- have another rujm and coke - eat from the KK with rum and coke - sit on the patio marveling at KK, light a cigar, drink a rum and coke - Sleep. Next day, repeat.... 8) Of course I do stray off course for the occasional Mojito or just rum on the rocks if it is an estate rum!! Do former sailors ever get enough grog??!?!? :lol::lol:

Conodo,

That sounds like a plan to me! I'm a New Englander during the summer, and a Floridian during the winter, but my in-laws live in Chambersburg, so it's a fairly short drive to Harrisburg. You do the cookin', I'll bring the rum and/or cigars!

brisket

It's really hard to rank brisket second to chuck. Texas barbecue IS brisket, period. The thought of not cooking a brisket every week is almost heresy. But, hey, I tried the chuck thing and it is what it is, superior.

Prior to last fall, I never drank any liquor. On a dove hunt, the lodge operator got me to sample some super high end sipping tequila. Holy sh.. it was good!!! This is stuff you drink neat. You would NEVER pollute its' flavor in a mixed drink. Since then, I have been sampling various brands, it's the same as the single malt world. You try a variety to see how you like them. I keep coming back over and over to the Don Julio 1942 Anejo. If you ever got smashed throwing down shots of cheap tequila and swore off it, think again. This is a different deal. It probably takes me half an hour or so to sip my way through an ounce or ounce and a half of this nectar. If you are even remotely curious about this spirit, get a good anejo and try it! You have to use the proper spirits glass, get one. You want to swirl and sniff the bouquet exactly the same as a good Bordeaux. A superb glass is the Reidel "O" series spirits glass. Or any glass specified for single malts. I'm not going to knock the rum and coke, never tried it. But I'd put even money you'll prefer this little adventure!

Sitting out on the back porch puffing a fine CAO, or Carlos Torano; and sipping a Don Julio 1942, man that is the good life. The only thing better is if your KK is wisping away with a cardamom coffee chuck ensconced inside!

Well said, mguerra. I agree with you about fine sippin' tequila as well. Rum is my spirit of choice, and I do usually partake of a rum and coke, or a mojito. However, the best way to enjoy a cigar (Tatuaje, or anything by Pete Johnson or Don Pepin Garcia are my go-to smokes lately) is with a fine sippin' rum. An ounce or two of Zaya Gran Reserva, Pyrat, or Ron Zacapa on the rocks will last me a half hour or so. And the smoke from the KK blends beautifully with what is trailing from a fine Nicaraguan smoke...