gerard

Reckon pig candy needs refrigeration?

My daughter is a big fan of my pig candy. I was supposed to provide her with a stash when she was home from college a couple of weeks ago. Due to life happening, I failed.

I want to surprise her with a package in the mail.

I'm contemplating sending it to her unrefrigerated. When I make it, it's dry and probably 1/2 sugar and of course contains the salt of the bacon... all factors that should prevent/impede bacterial and fungal growth.

That said, I'm probably too chicken to do it unless someone here can convince me it would be safe.

Pig Candy @ Vanderbilt... probably 1/2 the student population would flee in terror, or at least have their fathers hire someone to flee for them.

Any thoughts?

Gerard - Effectively, pig candy is jerky for those with a huge sweet tooth! That being said I think if you vacuum seal the pig candy, put wax paper between layers to avoid everything becoming one sticky glob, you should be alright. Just to be safe, you may want to consider FedEx overnight. You save on the trouble of keeping it cold, but pay a bit more in shipping...

I think pig candy at Vanderbilt could become huge.....not only will she love it, but it will be a great memory for her. Having a dad who was thoughtful enough to surprise her with somethig homemade that she loves will be huge.....might get you more then a tie for fathers' day!

... I think if you vacuum seal the pig candy' date=' put wax paper between....[/quote']

Vacuum sealing... I like that... it'll keep the sugar from soaking up moisture from the air. Thanks.

.....might get you more then a tie for fathers' day!

I wish, but I would settle for one less sigh/eye-roll.