mguerra

Bronze Behemoth, Game On!

If the brisket is a little dry, maybe take off earlier, wrap in foil, then place is a non-iced cooler. This might make / keep moist brisket untill ready to eat. I like the idea of the basket filled with lava rock; I just don't have the lava rocks hanging around, I hope to use some of my neighbor's as he has way too many. Happy KK'ing and eating!

In Place

A few photos of the Bronze Behemoth in position:

http://gallery.me.com/mpguerra#100055

Lemme splain about the hummer. It got in the house and we caught it after it exhausted itself. He or she eventually perked up, got up on the feeder, drank a gallon, shook like a dog and flew off. I just threw the photo in because it was kind of neat. After I rig the other side table to fit, I'll put up another photo.

Fatties

I almost can't believe there is such a thing, but I found out about fatties. What the hell, I'll try, I figured. I took three of those plastic wrapped breakfast sausage logs, Owens Regular, rolled them in McCormick dry spaghetti sauce mix, (the stuff in the little packet), and smoked 'em. Dang, they were a hit at the birthday party! I cut them up in little rounds and served them as appetizers. Nobody had a clue what they were. Next time I'll mix in a little ground beef and roll them out to make a roulade. Fill them with jalapenos and cheese or something. Fatties; who'd a thunk it? They're sick!!

First Turkey

Bought a fresh turkey, 13 pounds. Did nothing to it, just threw it on the KK. Tossed one fist sized hunk of mesquite in the fire. Mesquite, this is Texas for cryin' out loud! Shoot, we got mesquite bbq eye drops down here. Honey mesquite sunscreen, too. And lipstick. Smoked at 225 for about 3 1/2 hrs, then kicked 'er up to 300 for about 3 more hours. Used the Stoker. Here's the pix:

http://gallery.me.com/mpguerra#100111

Pulled it off when thigh hit 175. So, how does she taste? Mmm... don't know. Brother in law and sister in law coming over in a few minutes to find out. Mainly I want to crack open that '99 Pichon-Lalande, one of my favorite chateau. Stay tuned for the critique. BTW, I put the neck and those weirdo innards in a piece of foil, openly wrapped, (got that?) and cooked 'em up fer the hounds. Spoiled rotten coonies!

I can honestly say that after surfing the BBQ boards for at least 3 years now, that is the first time I have seen the "pop-up indicator" left on a turkey that was cooked in a smoker!! :lol::lol::lol:

By the by, that may also be the first pics of a pop-up indicator that actually worked! :D

Good looki' bird! How was the wine?

gobbler

It seemed that pulling out that pop-up contraption would leave a juice leak hole, so I just left it and ignored it. Never opened the cooker til the meat hit 175. The vino and the bird were super! Wasn't as smoky as I expected, either. I guess that one hunk of mesquite was not overkill. Anybody ever have a Greenberg smoked turkey? We give them as gifts at Christmas to the vet, yard guy and so on. They are super tasty!

https://www.gobblegobble.com/

I was driving out of our property this morning and there was a bunch of turkeys standing in the road, three of 'em all fanned out. Pretty cool. I keep trying to talk myself into shooting one for the table, but I can't do it. They are so beautiful, I just buy the farm turkeys. But the next time a rattler comes inside the fence line, it's going on the grill! Outside the fence I don't care, but my coonhounds live inside the fence and rattlers beware. If'n I get one , I'll put up the pix and give a taste report. Last one I just whacked off his head and threw him to the dogs. Seemed tasty to them.

Stoker Raingear

Photos should be self explanatory. Unfortunately the Stoker isn't rainproof, but here is the 84 cent Wal-Mart solution. And I'm using it tonight because thank God in heaven it's raining in Kerrville!!!! We are in the the worst drought in 50 years. We've had about 6 inches of rain in the past 2 years.

http://gallery.me.com/mpguerra#100119

That's a nice fan cover you've got. My only concern is what the plastic seems to be right against the guru port so I'm curious if it'll melt. Maybe a bit of aluminum foil and/or silicone as a gasket would help dissipate the heat a bit. If you notice that rain splashes from the ground up into the container you can also look into a fine mesh (like a screen door repair patch) which could help prevent even more water from coming in.

first ribs

Well, because of that thread about Chris Lilly and the Today show, I decided to do my first ribs. Made the rub per the recipe, and have them on there now at 250. Baby backs. They are on the top rack, indirect, with my lava rock deflector down below. Problem is, I'm hungry now...

Remember last year I was trying to flip my wife to "our side"? She gets home from work tonight, sees the wisps of smoke from the Gold Monster and says, "Man I'm exhausted, I'm really glad you got that thing."

Pics to follow when done.

Rosemary Chicken

I roasted a chicken thusly: Get some butter and soften to room temp. Mix into it garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. I got a split whole chicken, made a little slit in the skin of both halves, and worked my finger around under there to loosen the skin and make a space. Put the butter in that subcutaneous space and squoosh it around. I cooked on the main grill indirect at 350 til thigh joint was 180 degrees. Pretty dang good!!!!

Photos:

http://gallery.me.com/mpguerra#100165&v ... lack&sel=1