Marksj

lighting the grill

Dennis' date=' I use the paraffin cubes as a back up to my propane in case it goes empty on me. I have never had trouble getting a good fire going with those and I don't even use a hair dryer, just open up all the dampers.[/quote']

I have no doubt.. But that would require waiting with an adult beverage.. The beverage part sounds good but I'm usually too impatient for the wait..

;);)

MAPP torch

i use one of those bernzomatic MAPP gas torch. the thing i really like about it is that you can light just one or two hunks of lump on the top of the pile for slow cooking. it is pinpoint accuracy, more or less.

i do want one of those weed burners, tho, but for weeds... ;)

Re: lighting the grill

Switching over to a KK that is shipping today... If I am going to use a chimney to start my coals' date=' do you set the chimney on a grid while in the KK? I don't have a side table or ground area suitable to set a chimney...[/quote']

When I use a chimney, mine has the handle clipped off, and the inner grate removed. This reduces it to a cylinder with holes, which I can lift out by pulling straight up with channel lock pliers. In particular, I can close the lid with the chimney inside my KK.

I then put the chimney down somewhere that won't start a fire. A large terra cotta plant saucer would do the trick, if you don't have an appropriate surface available.

I like how the chimney helps me measure more accurately my charcoal volume, and creates a "chimney" effect.

It's more fun to start the fire with a serious weed burner, and MAPP gas. (Propane will do, but that wouldn't have been [s:3dkh5ear]Rambo's[/s:3dkh5ear] Jiarby's choice.)

You get the prize for the thickest crust inside the grill! :eek:

Yeah, get Dennis to give you a safe maximum temperature, and do a "self cleaning oven" burn at that temperature. All that will turn to ash, and brush off.

I've left my KK at 800 F with no apparent damage, but I'm the wrong person to ask. Sure, my old K7 was the poster child for a different manufacturer's shortcomings, but to be fair those tiles were intended for looks, not as a heat shield for re-entry. What did I know!?

I cooked a couple of pork tenderloins a few days ago with an overfull basket of lump. Once they were done I opened the daisy wheel all the way and spun the top open, letting the fire rage and go until it burned itself out. Wrapped the TruTel needle. Just as you said, Firemonkey, two and a half years of thick tar from innumerable low and slow cooks turned to flaky ash! Kinda sad to see all that goo go away, i'll just have to start over...

That thick crust may someday be of anthropological import!

Slu: It wouldn't be the first time Doc qualifies for such distinction. Have you seen his monster heat deflector?

I think its been out of commission for some time now but it was a sight to behold, and sure to fascinate the analysts of the cosmos.

Susan