Firemonkey

Pizza night

These pies look great and looking at the pictures, I have a question....When I make pizza on my Kamado (errrmm, sorry, its not a KK...yet!), I have a defector then a small air gap to create convection, and then the pizza stone.  As I'm looking at these delicious pictures, I notice some don't have a deflector...Would someone mind sharing with me their KK pizza setup?  Thanks!

The KK baking stone is not your ordinary pizza stone, not because it is a lot thicker but it is specially formulate for the perfect heat transfer. I always had trouble getting my pizzas done properly on my grill but since getting the KK my pizzas come out just fine with no special arrangements, etc. I put the baking stone on the upper grill in my 21 inch high top with no heat deflector. Use an IR thermometer to make sure the stone is about 550F and then slip the pizza on the stone, knock on wood the bottom has never burned and the toppings are cooked. That's my KK experience with pizza.:)

I used a deflector with an air gap in my prior grill, and of course this was prior to the KK stone. The variables you want to consider, especially with a 1/2 inch standard pizza stone are the distance between your stone and the fire below it, and how hot that fire needs to be to maintain the cooking temperature. If your grill has enough thermal mass, and has been heated thoroughly, it will maintain the cooking temperatures with much less input - the fire doesn't need to be as hot underneath your pizza and you can get away with less vertical space.

If you don't have as much vertical space, and/or your grill cools off quickly if you close the vents down, then a deflector under the baking stone will help keep the crust from burning. My old grill required the deflector, so I put in a deflector, some 1" thick metal spacers (I used spacers from a jeep lift kit, but s couple of big nuts will do fine) and set the pizza stone right on top of those. Worked great.

The pictures in the opening post of this thread are on a KK, as well as the thick KK stone, so no deflector.

• Like 1

The KK baking stone is not your ordinary pizza stone, not because it is a lot thicker but it is specially formulate for the perfect heat transfer. I always had trouble getting my pizzas done properly on my grill but since getting the KK my pizzas come out just fine with no special arrangements, etc. I put the baking stone on the upper grill in my 21 inch high top with no heat deflector. Use an IR thermometer to make sure the stone is about 550F and then slip the pizza on the stone, knock on wood the bottom has never burned and the toppings are cooked. That's my KK experience with pizza. :)

Exactamundo!  True words have never been spoken!  KUDSO, Mackenzie!

I was never much of a baker.  I really only did pizza.  Now that I'm branching out and doing some breads (I even bought a KitchenAid Pro 600 mixer) and am taking baking lessons from a friend who is a major league baker, I do so appreciate the KK baking stone.  My friend, who is teaching me to bake, is amazed at the stone.  He truly thought I was going to compromise his recipes.  This guy is an award winning baker and he's a believer.  He now uses TheBeast for about half of his baking these days.  And it's all about the constant temps in TheBeast, the baking stone, and the flavor added to his recipes by the FOGO lump.  

TheBeast, the KK baking stone, and FOGO lump.  Now that's a TRIFECTA! :)

• Like 1