hillkwaj

Roti AND side tables

So Dennis, love my side tables but it's a pain to have to take the bracket off to allow the roti bracket to be mounted. Any thought to modifying the bracket design so that the roti bracket can remain mounted? It would be great to just be able to drop the table down and perhaps remove the teak and then just slip the motor on - even easier would be to just incorporate the motor mount into the side table bracket itself.

Dennis-

Thanks. That had been my initial thought and I spent over an hour yesterday trying to get it to work. My biggest problem is that because the holes in the roti bracket are so much larger than the standoffs on the rear mounting studs the roti bracket tends to slip over the standoffs and so the roti bracket just rattles around behind the side table bracket and never gets tight.

Based on your assurance that it works, I went and tried again today and managed to get it on by keeping downward pressure on the roti bracket as I tightened to force it's to just catch on the standoffs - it's tight but seems precarious since if the rote bracket moves at all it'll slip over the standoff again. I think I just need to replace the standoff with something larger diameter (stack of washers?).

Thanks,

Steve

After many hours of feeling very, very studip as I tried, tried and tried again to mount the side table bracket and the roti bracket together, I finally realized that Dennis uses language differently than me. "On top of" the table bracket in his post above means "inside the table bracket" to me. All dependant on point of view.

I agree completely with Hillkwaj that the standoffs should be larger in diameter, and will add that they should also be of different lengths, and have one end cut off at a slant, because the bolts are not parallel to one another.

I thought about Hillkwaj's suggestion of a stack of washers, and then had a flash - stainless steel LOCK WASHERS. 3/8" ss lockwashers, to be precise.

aVynaxS.jpg

The beauty of lockwashers is that they're thicker on one side than on the other, and a stack of them (properly aligned) will maintain that thickness difference.

gxboN4S.jpg

The upper post needed two lockwashers (on top of the big washer that came with the KK), and the lower one needed 3 (it is a bit longer than the upper post due to the kk's curves).

gxbpCsS.jpg

Everything mounted up tight, the roti bracket is secure, and the big motor fits in very nicely.

aVynzui.jpg

At my local Ace Hdw, the 3/8" stainless lockwashers were eighteen cents apiece. Made the job go quickly and easily, once I figured out how many were needed.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike-

The lock washers looks like a nice solution. Using just the stock standoffs my bracket did indeed slip over the standoff during operation the first time I used it. I ended up just replacing the standoffs with flat washers. Seems solid although I agree that you've probably got better alignment using the lock washers.

Steve

I've played with this for some time and the issue I have is that 2 of the 3 bolts coming out of the side of the KK seem to be too short to allow getting the acorn nut on all of them. One is longer than the other two which are so short that when I put the side table bracket on, the lower bolt doesn't go thru the bracket at all, ie no way to get the acorn nut on it at all...Seems like making the side table bracket and the rotisserie bracket one piece and then making the bracket curved to match the curve of the KK vice straight might help a ton...

I've played with this for some time and the issue I have is that 2 of the 3 bolts coming out of the side of the KK seem to be too short to allow getting the acorn nut on all of them. One is longer than the other two which are so short that when I put the side table bracket on' date=' the lower bolt doesn't go thru the bracket at all, ie no way to get the acorn nut on it at all...Seems like making the side table bracket and the rotisserie bracket one piece and then making the bracket curved to match the curve of the KK vice straight might help a ton...[/quote']

I'll get you out some acorn nuts with a threaded extension and will also make them standard with all side tables.

Bending that big thick bracket face in the OTB form would require a very large press.. That may be possible when production volumes grow a bit.

I think I could just weld a standard motor bracket to the inside of the bracket as a cure. It could also be J&B Welded to the bracket as an after sales MacGyver solution.