DesertPirate

Newbie Questions

Still lurking and waiting to get into my new house before I take the plunge on a KK. Have a few questions and was hoping some of you experts could enlighten me.

- The electronic sensor/blower package seems like an incredible add-on, but it looks pretty difficult to install. Is this really necessary, or can you with reasonable practice get the grill to maintain a low temp for many hours the old fashioned way? Also, I thought I read somewhere Dennis was installing the port tube now (can someone point me to the right place and/or elaborate)?

- Is the shipping curb side or do the delivery guys unpack and put the grill where I want it in the back yard? In other words, how many buddies do I have to invite over the day it arrives?

- I've noticed a lot of the pictures show people putting the grill on slate tiles. I have a concrete pad in the couple places I was considering putting it. Is that fine for placement, or do I need something substantial for underneath?

- How many racks of ribs could you cook in the 19.5 or 23? Does the rib rack allow you to cook more?

- One of the main reasons I am interested right now is the possibility of getting really high temps for steaks. Would either size KK be fine for this. I am asking because the only difference other than diameter seems to be three racks vs two for the 23 vs the 19. Are the lowest racks in both a similar distance from the coals so you could get similar performance for steaks?

Thanks for any instights y'all can provide!

The power draft devices are available from 2 different sources, and work in much the same way. They are easy to install, you plug them into the tube which will be on the lower right side of your grill. As to their necessity, they are more of a convenience for people. I have never used one, and my grill will maintain whatever temperature I set it for until it runs out of fuel. It doesnt take much practice to become familiar with how much airflow your grill requires for a given temperature. After the first few cooks you will be able to dial it in pretty close on the first shot.

Shipping is curbside, though some drivers have been known to help out and wheel it to a patio (tipping helps motivate them) but the uncrating process is saved for you. Dennis includes everything you need, the crate even has a small crobar attached so you can get the crate off.

You dont need slate, any stable, level surface will do. Mine sit on my concrete patio side by side. If you were using a wood deck, you may need to make sure that the decking would support 550 pounds in one spot, and that there was a joist under it. Otherwise, brick pavers, concrete patio stones, old fashined conccrete are all just fine.

How many ribs?? I dont know, lets just say "several". I have had 6 racks of baby backs, along with 2 shoulder roasts on at the same time. I dont have the rib rack, I just use a roasting rack turned upside down - works perfectly for 6 slabs...if you need more slots than that, the ribrack may be worthwhile.

Either size will sear up some steaks. The difference is in how much stuff you can cook at once on the two sizes.

Re: Newbie Questions

- The electronic sensor/blower package seems like an incredible add-on' date=' but it looks pretty difficult to install. Is this really necessary, or can you with reasonable practice get the grill to maintain a low temp for many hours the old fashioned way? Also, I thought I read somewhere Dennis was installing the port tube now (can someone point me to the right place and/or elaborate)?[/quote']

A power draft control (a BBQ Guru or Stoker) is a nifty toy, but it's far from necessary. In fact, there's a school of thought that you should start out all manual and only use one when you know the fundamentals of how things work (I happen to fall in the opposite school where I go all automatic first and then switch to manual one variable at a time). With a little practice you can certainly get a low and slow going without one but I find it buys peace of mind and the StokerLog program that works with the Stoker provides a lot of excellent information.

Installation is a snap. There's a plug in the power draft port from the factory, but a hammer and screwdriver lets you knock that out easily and the metal surround prevents you from doing any damage to the cooker. Setting up networking on the Stoker (should you go that route) may require some basic networking and computer skills, but that's also not really all that tough.

The port tube just makes it easier to install a BBQ Guru (which normally needs an adapter).

- Is the shipping curb side or do the delivery guys unpack and put the grill where I want it in the back yard? In other words' date=' how many buddies do I have to invite over the day it arrives?[/quote']

It depends on how nice you are to them :) Officially it's curbside, but many delivery guys have helped move it to the final location in exchange for a cold beverage, lunch, or tip. In a pinch you can uncrate it, remove the lid, and move it around with just two able-bodied people and some 2x4s.

- I've noticed a lot of the pictures show people putting the grill on slate tiles. I have a concrete pad in the couple places I was considering putting it. Is that fine for placement' date=' or do I need something substantial for underneath?[/quote']

It's about 500lbs - that's not much bigger than your typical mother-in-law. I've got mine on some comparatively thin plywood directly on the ground while I'm waiting to have the time to build a more formal deck. I'd say you'll be fine.

- How many racks of ribs could you cook in the 19.5 or 23? Does the rib rack allow you to cook more?

I'm sure there are a lot of variables with this (pork or beef? Short or spare?), but you may be better off searching the forum for pictures of ribs. I'll let others who've loaded up their cooker answer this one.

- One of the main reasons I am interested right now is the possibility of getting really high temps for steaks. Would either size KK be fine for this. I am asking because the only difference other than diameter seems to be three racks vs two for the 23 vs the 19. Are the lowest racks in both a similar distance from the coals so you could get similar performance for steaks?

Having both, I'd say they're close. I keep my high temp cooks on the 19.5" these days but that's just because I have lump in there and use the 23" for low-and-slows. The 19.5" will heat up a bit faster because it's smaller and lighter, but I think the airflow is a bit better in the 23" so that helps even things out. I can measure, but the sear grills are about the same height.

Last Saturday I cooked 6 whole 3.5 lb chickens on the top two racks and 5 slabs of baby backs on the bottom, chix took 2.5 hours and the ribs were on for 4.5 hours( no guru this time) after a little practice and the cooker gets heat soaked, just barely crack open the draft door on the bottom and slightly turn the chimney top open, it stayed at 250 for the duration. No photos this time so this was all imaginary of course. Not even any evidence as we sold everything(ok we had to sample out one slab as it broke in half as I removed it ).

I sort of stacked them on a diagonal slant, when the chix were done I moved them flat. And yes they were slightly charred on the ends, but it was only on the tips of the bones so no real harm done. I'll try to show this the next time. We've been doing this every weekend and sometimes during the weekdays as well. Last week I put some lamb ribs on the lower rack, they were the perfect size,four racks fit the shape of the deflector almost perfectly. After four to four and a half hours at 250 to 300 most of the fat had rendered out , really delicious right off the grill, but not so great IMHO when warmed up again. Hopefully I 'll have another video of the KK on youtube or a link to the video from tomorrows news segment on Chicago's channel 7 at 11:20 AM.(Whole Duck, duck breasts, flat iron steaks and turkey breast, as well as the obligitory burgers, and I dare say, grilled veggies!)

The electronic sensor/blower package seems like an incredible add-on, but it looks pretty difficult to install. Is this really necessary, or can you with reasonable practice get the grill to maintain a low temp for many hours the old fashioned way? Also, I thought I read somewhere Dennis was installing the port tube now (can someone point me to the right place and/or elaborate)?
They are extremely easy to install. However, buying one does not guarantee perfect fire management. It will take awhile to get used to with any new cooker.

Is the shipping curb side or do the delivery guys unpack and put the grill where I want it in the back yard? In other words, how many buddies do I have to invite over the day it arrives?
I unpacked and installed the entire thing myself but would not recommend that. You will need at least one other person, 4 people should be more comfortable.

I've noticed a lot of the pictures show people putting the grill on slate tiles. I have a concrete pad in the couple places I was considering putting it. Is that fine for placement, or do I need something substantial for underneath?
You'll want a firm level surface, no need for anything fancy.

One of the main reasons I am interested right now is the possibility of getting really high temps for steaks. Would either size KK be fine for this.
Either will work. You can achieve extremely high temperatures, especially on the lower grate. For example, a 2" thick ribeye takes just a few minutes to cook and the thick grates give it a great sear.