Firemonkey

Whats cooking for the 4th??

All I've ever read about [burnt ends] has been good.

Some would say they're the bestest part - a lot of flavor in a small package :)

At this rate I may do some smoked raindrops with a smattering of grilled fog - if I can dig my KKs out of the mud. This weekend will hopefully stop the bulk of the rain, but I'll still have to swing buy Costco and/or Shaws to see what tickles my muse.

Re: Whats cooking for the 4th??

Anyone have plans for the obligatory cookout celebrating our nations independence??

I think I am going to go with a feast of shrimp and fresh mahi from the local fishmonger. Grilled fish tacos and old bay steamed shrimp sounds awesome :D

viewtopic.php?t=2351&highlight=fish+tacos

(Suggested beverage pairing: Beer and margaritas :wink: )

Having a 4th of July party... Going to cook up two chuck rolls, 9 racks of st louis cut ribs, miscellaneous salads, and of course alcohol!

two chuck rolls' date=' 9 racks of st louis cut ribs, miscellaneous salads, and of course alcohol![/quote']

2 chuck rolls are like 40 pounds of precooked beef before you even count the ribs :eek:

Now, THAT is making me proud to be an American!

We probably have 40 plus people coming over. I'm probably going to make freezer bags and freeze what ever is left. I know the ribs will go quick.

I like doing the ribs after the chuck rolls. The KK stays at 225 - 250, and I can use the residual heat.

BTW - I purchased the rib rack from Southern Steamers. It works great.

viewtopic.php?t=1970

I did imaginary T-Bones tonight (hence no pics but a full belly). There will be baby backs on tomorrow. Friday I am up in the air but thinking wings (lots) or maybe shrimp. Got a day off on the 4th as SmokeyKen is doin' up a full packer and probably a pork shoulder. Now I just need to work out something for Sunday and I am set...(pizza?)

Also, I noticed FM's post in the daily pics area. I've got pics on the camera, just gotta get 'em off of there and into the forum. I even have a movie made of my set arriving, uncrating, etc. Just gotta find time!! :shock:

Pig roast for the fourth for a family that had tragically lost their Mother two years ago to cancer and their Father less than 6 months later in a mid air collision in Wyoming. This could be the last time we BBQ on the shores of Lake Michigan. What a great spot to see the fireworks from Wilmette, about 300 yards away! R.I.P. Ralph and Dianne Otto.

The fates have deemed that it shall be chicken and brats should it ever stop raining. And since the bird is too big for my loaf pan I'll go back to the Roadside Chicken favorite. The brats are another story, the first time we got them at Costco they were ale-flavored but since then they've been plain - and lacking that little kick. I've got some experiments going to see if I like marinading them overnight or boiling them in it a bit first. A few bottles of Harpoon is a small sacrifice to the great fire gods.

jJst put them in a 9x9 aluminum pan, on the main grate, and pour a bottle of harpoon over them. Cook for about an hour at 350 in the beer bath, and then brown them as usual at the end and dip them one final time in the pan and dry for about 5 minutes on the grill before pulling them off.

Ive done many o' fine plain brats in this manner through the football season :D

Pig roast for the fourth for a family that had tragically lost their Mother two years ago to cancer and their Father less than 6 months later in a mid air collision in Wyoming. This could be the last time we BBQ on the shores of Lake Michigan. What a great spot to see the fireworks from Wilmette' date=' about 300 yards away! R.I.P. Ralph and Dianne Otto.[/quote']

Dave,

Why the last time?? Selling some beachfront land?? "The Man" cracking down or what??

I hate to hear of traditions being squashed. : :smt067:smt067

The party was worth the labor. Unfortunately the Mom's estate hadn't even been settled yet prior to the plane crash that killed the Dad. The property is on the lake shore near the Baha'i Temple, the price tag for this real estate is a little out of the price range for me...rough guess 10 to 15 M. Guess we'll have to go back to our old tradition of havin' a pig roast in our own back yard! Tonight beef back ribs on the KK if I can ever find the post on how to do 'em proper! As well as rib tips from some St. Louis ribs I cut for the customer who followed me into the store this morning.( We're closed!) Hard to turn down cash in this economy!

BBQ for 6 became 10

The most common hint I hear these days is for me to include them next time I'm cooking some Q. I rounded up the most vocal of these people and tried to invite 6 of them over.. as the date got closer, all of the invited groups suddenly had an extra person that I just had to meet.. so could they please tag along.. I agreed hinting that if their friends brought along a decent bottle of wine it would lessen the pain of cooking for one more :lol::lol:

I have recently discovered Sven, a German butcher who has been working here for 20 years. Armed with my laptop, I came showing him what I wanted.. he really delivered.. I bought 4 large cut racks of pork ribs.. he personally selected from the best fat, young pigs. It looks like he processes about 6-8 pigs a day on average.. Then he recommended I try some other kind of pork ribs that he said are more popular in Germany.. they were pretty large, triangle shaped, sorta Fred Flinstone but I bought two of those also..

I also defrosted a veal standing rib roast and a three bone rack of beef (ribs).

First thing that was really surprising is that when I pulled off the membrane from the pork ribs is that it was not paper thin but had a thick layer of fat that came off with it.. Musta been some fat lil piggies..

For those who have not heard paper towels are the ONLY way to remove membranes.

The ribs were liberally coated in Chris Lilly's super complex, Today Show rub also zipped up a notch with crushed, screened, sun-dried Thai chilies.. hey I'm in Asia.. gotta have some zip in every meal!

IMG_1768.jpg

The beef ribs I slathered with French's Mustard and then used the Coffee Cardamon rub (zipped up a notch with crushed, screened, sun-dried Thai chilies)

IMG_1769.jpg

The veal standing rib roast was just wet with some extra virgin and seared to get the Maillard reaction going before pulling it and using the same Coffee Cardamon rub (zipped up a notch with crushed, screened, sun-dried Thai chilies)

IMG_1770.jpg

I put two of the large pork ribs flat on the lower, two on the main, the beef ribs on the upper and then the standing roast in the 19.5" Lil' Isla.

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

The ribs were a total success and I was not able to photograph them much as they were gobbled up while I was out checking on other meat.. but got this one in.. I cooked them until the meat tore when bounced holding them with tongs..

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

This was the Fred Flinstone ribs that were recommended to my.. They were meaty but chewing on a foot long bones at the table is a bit cro magnum if you catch my drift

IMG_1795.jpg

The roast was cooked at 250ºf and pulled at 140-145º on my new blue Thermapen which I'm really loving!

IMG_1796.jpg

They looked nice but they were too big and they were more of us than ribs so I sliced them up into smaller more manageable pieces but it was not what you might call very presentable.. looked more like I had used an outboard motor to do the carving!

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

The coffee cardamon rub was great and beef ribs have a lotta great beefy flavor but they still had lots of strange chewy bits and connective tissue that had not yet broken down into collagen at 205º. But it was still gobbled up.

IMG_1803.jpg

The dinner was very well received and 12 of us went thru 9 bottles of wine so the jokes were good too.. Something I was very careful of is to use smoke sparingly with the beef. A very common mistake people make is to over smoke meat. I think they hear of smokers and smoke rooms and forget that smoking was traditionally a way of preserving meat before refrigerators. It's very easy, especially with beef to over smoke and you meat tastes like an ashtray.

Those were some good looking pieces of meat, but whats with the shiny silver grates?? You only use them one time before replacing or what :P

Here was my effort. I actually did this meal twice, once on Friday and they were so good we did it again on Saturday for a different set of guests that heard about the first batch:D

The first cook was imaginary, and the second came pretty darn close to being imaginary, too. The chefs beverage consumption impeded the photography. I did manage to get a few pictures just as the main course was finishing up though.

I started with a few pounds of steamed peel-and-eat shrimp. Super fast and easy to make in under 10 mins from walking into the kitchen to carrying the cooked shrimp out. Perfect party food, as long as you have the party on the patio so "messes" are not an issue. Just steam the shrimp in a 50-50 mix of water and vinegar, and add 3-4Tbsp of Old Bay per pound of shrimp. These were imaginary both times, because I didnt want shrimp fingers all over my camera!

Right after getting the grill up to 450 degrees or so I roasted several ears of corn, and brought them in to cool. I cut the corn off the cob so the roasted corn could be used in the fish tacos.

The main course was grilled Mahi, with some spicy grilled shrimp (made by request). The Mahi marinated for about 5-6 hours, and flavor of the marinated fish after grilling get 5 stars from me. If you can get some Mahi in your area, the recipe is HERE - give them a try.

The spicy grilled shrimp marinate in 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1 green onion (everything except the roots), one decent sized clove of garlic and one chipotle pepper from a can. Blend everything up in the magic bullet and then marinate the shrimp in it for 4-5 hours. Its sort of an island-y flavor and the chipotle brings plenty of heat. This marinade is great on chicken too. Grill on high heat.

I grilled up some vegetables, and golden pineapple to go with them, and also made a bowl of fresh pico (before I started re-hydrating with Yuenglings).

img1425wpb.jpg

img1421g.jpg

img1422c.jpg

Assorted cousins are coming in from Taiwan (via Cape Cod)' date=' so we're grilling steaks on the 2d. Grilled steaks, corn, salad, berry dessert. Of course, this could be entirely imaginary. Time will tell.[/quote']

I was right. Imaginary. But tasty.

Two housekeepers and stainless cleaner!

Those were some good looking pieces of meat' date=' but whats with the shiny silver grates?? You only use them one time before replacing or what :P [/quote']

The main grill shown is from my 19.5 which basically has been used for grilling on the upper flipped and used as a sear grill.

The other ones look spanking clean because I have two housekeepers and stainless cleaner!

:lol::lol: