DennisLinkletter

New Design for draft door airflow wheel and Knob

Better Long Term Solution 4 Knob & New Spring Photos

We were limited in our solutions by the earlier design where there is a wood screw on one side of the airflow dial.

One of the frustrating things was trying to get the wood screw to tighten firmly to an inflammable material.

In the post above you can see the solution we came up with using the metal tube and refractory material. The problem is that with expansion and contraction of the wood screw it tends to loose it's tightness..

We've decided that the best solution is to completely abandon the wood screw, in this case it means replacing the low airflow dial completely, something I was really trying to avoid.

The only way to get a secure tight connection is to use a metal screw and nut.

We welded together a stainless tube, washer and nut, then sliped this into a hole in the teak knob and then run a pin through it from left to right to secure it.

Components

IMG_2570.jpg

Prototype welded up..

IMG_2573.jpg

New spring on right.. Less pull when fully closed, more umph on the top end when fully opened.

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

New counter-balanced spring!!

OMG!!!! It took me a while to install the new spring and I can't believe the difference!!! When I first received the spring, I e-mailed dennis saying that I believe I received someone else's replacement part and he e-mailed me back saying that it was an upgrade from him! I'm thinking......a spring?????

what the ??????? well, I just installed it and I can't believe the difference there is in using the Komodo!!!!

THANK YOU DENNIS!!!!!!!!

Steve in New Orleans!