DesertPirate

First Cook

I needed something to tide me over so I tired out Firemonkey's chicken wings while getting everything ready for the 12 lbs Sams Club brisket.

Like any newbie I had a little trouble starting the fire and was a little overwhlmed/confused by all the grate, drip pan and heat deflector options. I settled on the the deflector that comes in the stainless pan on the lower grill and cooked the brisket on the main grill for about 18 hours at temps ranging between 250 and 280. It turned out amazing, even if the bottom was a litle crisp. I also put the large drip pan on top on the deflector stone. I had the wings on the main grill, but finished them off above the brisket for a late night snack.

Going for ribs today ... :-)

Sorry, will have to figure out how to add pics later when I'm not on my iPhone

Wow, DesertPirate, what an ambitious first cook! And congrats on your success. My KK is still on the water and I'm a newbie to charcoal cooking generally. I was thinking about doing some ABT's and a couple of chickens for my first cook where I have some leeway with the temperature control. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of trouble did you have getting the fire started?

Susan

You're gonna love the way the KK grills steaks. On occasion we have been known to grill some of the steaks that aren't quite up to par with the rest of the NY strips we sell( Denise keeps bringing home the "vein" steaks). these steaks have quite a fair amount of gristle running through them, but cooked on the KK it practically melts into the meat. Result...unreal,light smokey tenderness.