Sanny

Hair dryer

Yah, I know....

We've sometimes heard on the forum how the judicious use of a hair dryer can help get the lump fired up. Blow into the lower damper to create airflow, etc. Uh huh. It works great! However...

Note to self... don't do that when you have a cooker full! GRIT!!

Bleh.

Blew cinders all over the food inside. :roll:

Yes, of COURSE that's the obvious result. But don't do it anyway.

Ask me how I know.... :oops:

• Like 1

Re: Hair dryer

Sanny"

We've sometimes heard on the forum how the judicious use of a hair dryer can help get the lump fired up. Blow into the lower damper to create airflow, etc. Uh huh. It works great! However...

So the moral to the story is.....

After cleaning ashes with a brush, I wore a dust mask and played with my new blower, to get the inside of my KK spotless. Then, setting up an extruded coconut ring around a piece of coffee charcoal, under an apple-filled smoke pot (for salmon on a bed of basil), I noticed that the fit is pretty good to blow air into the guru port. Got my fire to speed in a nice hurry.

1 hour ago, Syzygies said:

After cleaning ashes with a brush, I wore a dust mask and played with my new blower, to get the inside of my KK spotless. Then, setting up an extruded coconut ring around a piece of coffee charcoal, under an apple-filled smoke pot (for salmon on a bed of basil), I noticed that the fit is pretty good to blow air into the guru port. Got my fire to speed in a nice hurry.

"get the inside of my KK spotless", that idea left the building a long time ago - LOL 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

"get the inside of my KK spotless", that idea left the building a long time ago - LOL 

At the time I recognized this as a pointless exercise; I was playing.

This was a fortuitous pointless exercise, because when I then used the Guru port to introduce a large volume of air, I got away with it.

Edited by Syzygies

6 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I use the hairdryer from the top down into the charcoal.

Yes, that is generally how I plan to use my Milwaukee blower. I like that it's cordless, and infinitely variable. Before this I was creating towering infernos in 30 seconds with a small shop vac, but that was overkill.

• Like 1

I couldn't resist Syzygies's suggestion of the Milwaukee Compact Blower. He says it is the bomb and I second that. I love the amount of control you have over the air flow, there are 3 speeds and the trigger is a variable control for each of these. This amount of control means that when the sparks start to flow you have fast easy control that will keep the sparks manageable.  I suppose this is more important in the 16.5 inch KK which is where I was using the blower. Another benefit is that one can blow the ODK counter clean as well as the floor. :) 

There is an extension of about 10 inch with a soft tip and I have that on in the pix but you could take that off it you thought it was too long for the job.

Blower.thumb.jpg.fc5319b26bfae3a0f6ac87dd422fcdb4.jpg

It really does just take a few seconds to get a nice fire going. Today I am doing a low temp cook so I don't want a huge fire.

Fire.thumb.jpg.229e7fa5dfcbcee4f5610eeef484a347.jpg

Thank you Syzygies. :) 

• Like 2

I'm a guy that enjoys the Zen of BBQ.  I'll light Beauty! or TheBeast, set my vents, and go in and prep the cook and prep the cook with a good whiskey.  When I'm done prepping the cook and the cook, I go out and things are ready from the KK point of view.  I'm not looking to rush through the best part of the day.

• Like 4