Syzygies

Best vacuum packer? (FoodSaver alternatives?)

attachicon.gifSetup.jpg

Here's an idea of the size of the VP115. It's next to a commercial rice cooker and a Sous Vide Magic controller, the economy approach to sous vide some years back. Today, I'd buy the $199 Anova circulator. (This is the other coast from where a spouse could raise concerns about the wood finish. I do take stickers off things I buy, but only after the return period expires.)

attachicon.gifCarrots.jpg

The winner in experiments so far was a farmers market carrot cooked an hour at 185 F (85 C) in olive oil and a bit of salt. (This was a big carrot; you're looking at a lot of contorno.)

Hey Syz,

I'm considering a VP215 and Anova's new model "precision cooker" for sous vide and I came across your post. Any thoughts on the Anova? It seems to be the best of the consumer models, as good as if lot better than the $400 PolyScience Creative model.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this stuff!

I also have a VP 112 and a basic Anova...great combo. I finally found a place in the laundry to leave the VP 112 as it is a beast. But awesome!

I will likely get a VP115 for my Colorado home and the Anova again. I like the new form factor of the 115. 

I never liked the form factor of the VP112 but jumped on the VP115. It is smaller than a VP215. If one can manage the space and weight, the VP215 oil pump is an advantage: Greater vacuums, and if water gets into the pump just change the oil.

I have two of the original Anova One circulators ($170 on Amazon) that go in 12 quart Cambros. I get the cooler idea, but Cambros (unlike metal pots) provide enough insulation (remarkably) that one can move on to life's other pressing questions. Cambros are easy. Cut the lid to make room for the circulator.

One circulator is for vegetables at 85C, the other is for anything else I want to cook at the same time.

I know this is an old thread, but i thought I would add my assessment experience. After years of declining quality in the FoodSaver models [it almost seemed that the more expensive the model, the less reliable it became], and repeated lost seal/vacuum, we decided to look into the vacuum chamber models. Although I really like the DMC models I discovered at Pleasant Hill Grain, I eventually narrowed my chamber choices down to the Vacmaster VP215 and VP120. I liked the oil-maintenance motor feature of the 215, but chose the 120 for its lighter weight [still robust at 50+ pounds], and thus more pragmatic maneuverability in our home, as well as its one-touch operation. Webstaurant delivered it one day with free shipping and about $160 less than Amazon/Ary. We will probably still add either the Vacupack Eite or LEM MaxVac extraction style sealers to replace our aging FoodSaver for those items where this style works well. What I like about all these models is that they offer some level of user serviceability and parts replacement. We shall see.

The VacMaster VP120 appears to be the successor to the VP115, which I've had for a year now. I'm thrilled with it. I use it primarily for food storage (ideal preservation in a chest freezer), secondarily for sous vide. Though these easily run together: running a circulator without heat is the fastest way to defrost food from a chest freezer.

Friends would rather make the trip to use this machine (e.g. to repack a 3 kilo tin of Cantabrian anchovies) than use a clamp machine at home. The difference is extreme.

One can buy both 3 mil and 4 mil chamber bags. Unless one is running a restaurant on the verge of bankruptcy, don't bother with anything besides 4 mil bags, food safe for sous vide. One still needs bone guards for obvious culprits, but less often. The wrong shape salt crystal on Catalan cod tripe can puncture a 3 mil bag, one never sees that coming. With a mix of bags, one needs to keep adjusting the sealing times; better to stock one bag thickness.

An oil pump can create a greater vacuum, and fancier controls can stop automatically at set vacuum levels. I get by fine watching the analog gauge. I can see why a restaurant would want a higher end machine.

Getting water into an air pump requires a factory visit. Getting water into an oil pump is a repair one can do oneself at home. I nevertheless assess this risk as small. I balked on the oil pump models because of their size, they are close in price. If VacMaster came out with an oil pump machine in the VP120 form factor, I'd be really tempted.

VacMaster VP215

Today (April 6, 2016) only, VacMaster is selling (at least in the US) the VP215 for 30% off, using code CHAMP. That comes out to $630, less than I paid for my smaller air pump VP115.

I recognize the pecking order here. I love the size of my VP115. The oil pump of the larger VP215 is an extra step but worth it by all accounts. My VacMaster has worked for years in light duty home use. The vacuum is chamber machine league, blowing away any clamp machine. Would a better oil pump create a more extreme vacuum? Likely, but I haven't actually needed this. Would an oil pump survive moisture better, following the above notes? Of course, but I've been careful, and I'm factoring in the expense of replacing my machine against the cost of a several times more expensive machine I wouldn't need to replace. Light duty home use here, and I have other expenses. We still have no problems "processing the hunt" e.g. taking an hour to repack a 3 kilo tin of the best anchovies on earth into 4 anchovy packets.

For subjective impressions of quality, any chamber machine beats any clamp machine. I'm comparing with very expensive clamp machines. After this, 4 mil bags beat 3 mil bags. One should move to 4 mil bags before worrying about which chamber machine. Many people covet the VP215 as a step up from my VP115. I also covet expensive machines like the Henkelman. It would take personal experience with a machine failing at a quarter of the price, to make me jump.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2016 at 4:07 AM, Syzygies said:

VacMaster VP215

Today (April 6, 2016) only, VacMaster is selling (at least in the US) the VP215 for 30% off, using code CHAMP. That comes out to $630, less than I paid for my smaller air pump VP115.

25% off VP210 and VP215, through Saturday, June 25, 2016, 11:59PM PST. (I'm just a happy customer on their mailing list.)

VacMaster Sale Products 

I picked up the VP215 during the 30% off sale. I'm very happy with it so far. I no longer worry about freezing meat and ruining it with freezer burn. Defrosting is better as well. Just drop the sealed food into some room temperature water. Reheating BBQ is great. Toss it into the sous vide at 160, and you are good to go in 30 minutes. Tastes just like it came fresh from the smoker. It's a great compliment to the Komodo Kamado.

@Syzygies,

Thanks again for letting us know of the 25% off sale. I took advantage of the opportunity and purchased the VP215.

It is definitely something that I do not want to pick up and move too many times. Therefore, I'm currently looking for a cart to set it on to move (roll) in and out of the kitchen as needed.

Syzygies

• Like 1

On 4/6/2016 at 4:07 AM, Syzygies said:

VacMaster VP215

I recognize the pecking order here. I love the size of my VP115. The oil pump of the larger VP215 is an extra step but worth it by all accounts. My VacMaster has worked for years in light duty home use. The vacuum is chamber machine league, blowing away any clamp machine. Would a better oil pump create a more extreme vacuum? Likely, but I haven't actually needed this. Would an oil pump survive moisture better, following the above notes? Of course, but I've been careful, and I'm factoring in the expense of replacing my machine against the cost of a several times more expensive machine I wouldn't need to replace. Light duty home use here, and I have other expenses. We still have no problems "processing the hunt" e.g. taking an hour to repack a 3 kilo tin of the best anchovies on earth into 4 anchovy packets.

For subjective impressions of quality, any chamber machine beats any clamp machine. I'm comparing with very expensive clamp machines. After this, 4 mil bags beat 3 mil bags. One should move to 4 mil bags before worrying about which chamber machine. Many people covet the VP215 as a step up from my VP115. I also covet expensive machines like the Henkelman. It would take personal experience with a machine failing at a quarter of the price, to make me jump.

Today (December 11) VacMaster is offering $150 off the VP120, the successor to the machine I have. Normally $780 on Amazon, $799 at VacMaster, this brings the price down to $649. Coupon: DAY11

VacMaster VP120 Home Chamber Vacuum Sealer

I'd get the VP215 instead, but one needs more space, a friend to help lift it in place, and the advantages of the oil pump come with having to think about the pump. I'm happy with my VP115 and very happy with their customer support. They resolved my falling seal pad to my satisfaction.

I quoted my earlier post in its entirely as otherwise I'd want to say it again.

(I just bought one for California. Our location is cold, so an oil pump might not be a good idea.)

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 1