Syzygies

Best vacuum packer? (FoodSaver alternatives?)

Re: Best vacuum packer? (FoodSaver alternatives?)

Bottom line: VakShak doesn't have their act together.

They do seem pretty unorganized. But to update--I received my UPS delivery notice for the delivery shipped direct from Minipack this evening, so once I spoke with Don/Derek they did get it together and the Cyclone 30 is on the way. They were about $60 less than the next best price I found (about $70 less after shipping).

MiniPack Cyclone blowout sale

So I wrote MiniPack to ask about the Cyclone 30. They're no longer actively promoting non-chamber machines, finding it too difficult to educate users on liquids. They want to concentrate on their core business of chamber vacuum machines.

I just ordered another Cyclone 30 for my other home, at their blowout sale price, just over $300 with shipping and CA tax.

[email protected][/email:11cmmtpc]

Every now and then I do run a damp paper towel around the gasket, if an oddly wrinkled bag is having trouble getting a vacuum started. The direction do say to press both sides as one starts. This is nevertheless by far my favorite such machine; hopefully my second order speaks for itself.

For a few dollars more...

This is a good point; everyone should decide for themselves whether they want to commit the space to a chamber vacuum machine, and whether they can live with a different set of restrictions (no hot liquids, for example).

I don't want to commit the space. I am charmed by a compact, easily carried and easily stored unit that gets the job done. (A key part of this for me are the VacStrip bags, superior to FoodSaver bags. They're the equal of heat-safe chamber bags, with an additional inner layer to provide vacuum channels.)

Let's make this a fair comparison. Many people are happy with clamp vacuum machines that are 1/3 the price of the Cyclone 30. Many people are also happy with the least expensive chamber vacuum machines on the market. Were I buying a chamber machine now, it would probably be the MiniPack MVS 20 for around $1,600. Its Busch oil pump is spoken of with high regard by those who distinguish makes and types of pumps.

That's around 5x the price of the Cyclone 30. The cheapest chamber machines are around 5x the price of FoodSaver level clamp machines. Everyone should decide for themselves, on space, weight, price, restrictions, and what constitutes acceptable quality. Of course the price intervals will overlap.

Let's also not forget that we're here because the Komodo Kamado for us defines quality in a ceramic cooker. There are less expensive alternatives, and we've concluded that the differences are well worth the price.

Does anyone have a good source for bags?

VacMaster VacStrip bags

These are odd looking, but they work, and they're heat safe for sous vide or "simmer in pouch".

Nearly all non-chamber machines need to use bags with channels, for the air to get out. The usual approach is to groove channels into the bag itself. These bags are instead identical to chamber bags, with an extra layer of inner material providing air evacuation channels. The result is stronger. I'd still add their bone guard sheets to an order; the Cyclone pulls a tighter vacuum than a FoodSaver, so bones poking a hole in the bag becomes more of a potential problem.

I apologize in advance for reviving an old post but I did not want to create a new one.

VacMaster Owners:

Have you had any issues with your vacuum sealer machines?

I am strongly considering the VP215C and just wanted to know if any of you have experienced any problems that are worth noting.

Thanks in advance.

Read these comments:

http://vacmaster.aryvacmaster.com/vacmaster/VP215C.php

I too have long eyed this unit, affordable for oil pump units. For long freezer storage I'm fine with my two Cyclone 30's, but for sous vide a chamber machine can do more.

What struck me was the cost of return shipping if one does encounter problems, with the unit just over shipping limits for affordable rates. This might be that rare instance where buying with a service contract from a local restaurant supply vendor might be worth the extra expense. Do restaurants worry about shipping these things for repairs? They're too busy, but also too broke, so I don't know.

Hi Guys,

I sell and service commercial vacuum packing machines.

The biggest killer of these machines in the restaurant industry, is moisture mixing with the oil in the vacuum pump.

It is best to always pack your products when they are cold. Many restaurants try to pack food when it is hot. Firstly, a hot product does not vacuum very well. Secondly, the steam from the hot product mixes with the oil in the vacuum pump.

Regular changing of oil in the pump will keep it in good working order.

Some of the more expensive machines, have pump conditioning programs built into them. That is, they run continously for 15-20 minutes. In this time, the pump will reach full operationg temperature, and any moisture mixed with the oil should disipate. We recommend running the conditioning program at least once a week.

Feel free to ask me any questions etc.

Thanks, Johnny. People don't realize the hot/cold issue. It has percolated into the dogma of how one "does" sous vide. Yes, but only because one must protect one's equipment.

The same plain (not textured) chamber vacuum bags work spectacularly well in a $30 impulse sealer if one has decent manual dexterity (as cooks tend to have), and there is enough liquid in the bag. I routinely put away stock and tomatoes to freeze this way. I'd gladly participate in a $1,000 stakes race putting up thirty packets of stock this way; no one can keep up with me on the impulse sealer, waiting for a chamber vacuum packer to cycle.

It's a great bonus that one can transition from conventional to sous vide methods in the same cook while hot, using an impulse sealer.

Of course, I still crave a true chamber vacuum packer, with oil pump. It can do things no other sealer can do.

Aloha,

I bought a Vacmaster VP112 last year and have liked it so far. I've used it infrequently because of my travel, but I've used it to prep for sous vide (I have both a polyscience and an anova immersion circulator), as well as package leftovers from smoking on the KK. This year I'm planning on doing more prep in advance and freezing food for dinners later in the week and month.

I would still consider myself a newbie using the Vacmaster but it's done a great job on sealing. I'm a little paranoid about the seal not working, especially with liquids and marinades, and always think it doesn't look sealed enough, but so far they have all held up just fine. There was only one time when the seal didn't work and that was when I got some liquid on the seal area and so it couldn't make an effective seal. I consider that user error and have had 100% success when I do my part correctly.

Thanks, Johnny. People don't realize the hot/cold issue. It has percolated into the dogma of how one "does" sous vide. Yes, but only because one must protect one's equipment.

The same plain (not textured) chamber vacuum bags work spectacularly well in a $30 impulse sealer if one has decent manual dexterity (as cooks tend to have), and there is enough liquid in the bag. I routinely put away stock and tomatoes to freeze this way. I'd gladly participate in a $1,000 stakes race putting up thirty packets of stock this way; no one can keep up with me on the impulse sealer, waiting for a chamber vacuum packer to cycle.

It's a great bonus that one can transition from conventional to sous vide methods in the same cook while hot, using an impulse sealer.

Of course, I still crave a true chamber vacuum packer, with oil pump. It can do things no other sealer can do.

Yes you are correct.....An impulse sealer works best on soups, sauces and liquids. It is quicker and not as messy.

I have customers that wanted to purchase a chamber machine to pack soups and sauces, but I advised them to buy an impulse sealer. Once you have the correct technique  on the impulse sealer, it works a treat.

We use a vertical impulse sealer with a foot control. This way both hands can be used to juggle the bag of liquid. It also seals from both sides. Although we dont use it for food, we use it to ship oil for vacuum pumps in 1 litre stand up pouches.

Hi Guys,

I sell and service commercial vacuum packing machines.

The biggest killer of these machines in the restaurant industry, is moisture mixing with the oil in the vacuum pump.

It is best to always pack your products when they are cold. Many restaurants try to pack food when it is hot. Firstly, a hot product does not vacuum very well. Secondly, the steam from the hot product mixes with the oil in the vacuum pump.

Regular changing of oil in the pump will keep it in good working order.

Some of the more expensive machines, have pump conditioning programs built into them. That is, they run continously for 15-20 minutes. In this time, the pump will reach full operationg temperature, and any moisture mixed with the oil should disipate. We recommend running the conditioning program at least once a week.

Feel free to ask me any questions etc.

I'm interested in getting a quote from you for the Vacmaster VP215 (and extended warranty, if available). We can communicate by way of PM.

Thanks

I have a VP215 and love it.

One of my MiniPack Cyclone 30 clamp vacuum machines gave up the ghost (they may be able to repair it, but it's not clear they even have access to parts in the U.S.). So I took another look at the market.

The VP112 always looked hoakey to me. One review nailed it: To make it fit on a counter under cabinets, it has too big a footprint. And it looks like plastic.

On the other hand, the VP215 and relatives are quite large and heavy. To spend "enough" is a slippery slope. Should one get an oil pump? Should one spend another grand to get the really good German-made oil pump?

VacMaster recently came out with the VacMaster VP115, and I bought one from Amazon for $689. Apparently (right or wrong) others were having my reaction to the VP112, and this is VacMaster's answer, a scaled down version of their bigger machines.

It is really hard to imagine going back, and I would say I was too cautious in waiting this long. Entry level for a chamber machine but it drops air pressure by 95% to 98% (my MiniPack could manage 7% which is well beyond FoodSaver; it doesn't take much to mostly collapse a bag around food, but it does take a 50 pound beast to do more than that). It is a game-changer for sous vide.

If you have more space, and help lifting it onto a counter, go for a bigger machine; they're only a few hundred dollars more. This decision was about space as much as money, and the extra space this machine has taken from me is what I could afford.

post-249-0-96967300-1410058927_thumb.jpg

Here's an idea of the size of the VP115. It's next to a commercial rice cooker and a Sous Vide Magic controller, the economy approach to sous vide some years back. Today, I'd buy the $199 Anova circulator. (This is the other coast from where a spouse could raise concerns about the wood finish. I do take stickers off things I buy, but only after the return period expires.)

post-249-0-02073700-1410058946_thumb.jpg

The winner in experiments so far was a farmers market carrot cooked an hour at 185 F (85 C) in olive oil and a bit of salt. (This was a big carrot; you're looking at a lot of contorno.) 

attachicon.gifSetup.jpg

Here's an idea of the size of the VP115. It's next to a commercial rice cooker and a Sous Vide Magic controller, the economy approach to sous vide some years back. Today, I'd buy the $199 Anova circulator. (This is the other coast from where a spouse could raise concerns about the wood finish. I do take stickers off things I buy, but only after the return period expires.)

attachicon.gifCarrots.jpg

The winner in experiments so far was a farmers market carrot cooked an hour at 185 F (85 C) in olive oil and a bit of salt. (This was a big carrot; you're looking at a lot of contorno.)

Hey Syz,

I'm considering a VP215 and Anova's new model "precision cooker" for sous vide and I came across your post. Any thoughts on the Anova? It seems to be the best of the consumer models, as good as if lot better than the $400 PolyScience Creative model.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts on this stuff!