seanwiley

Brisket comparison

The thread on the coffee rubbed brisket reminded me of a question Michael Geurra asked me on a separate thread about temperature plateaus.

In that thread I mentioned I was following a specific recipe out of Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson cookbook which wanted you to cook the meat till it hit 160, then wrap and continue cooking till 190. He suggested I compare to the other recipe in the book where you don't wrap.

Well, that was already in my plans as I had sort of set a goal for myself of working my way through the entire book. This weekend I did the 2nd recipe and in my opinion it was superior. Extremely tender, smokier and I liked the flavor of the paste (though I am quite tempted to try the coffee paste too.)

If you are interested, I am posting a blog on my effort to cook through his book at http://inpursuitofbigbob.blogspot.com/ mostly on my Komodo. It is strictly for my own amusement and given the level of expertise here I doubt you'd learn anything. However, it is kind of fun....