cruzmisl

Grillfloss

Crazy question but you flipped the end on the grill floss to the larger opening and it did not fit? Mine came assembled with the 5/16" opening showing. I had to take off the tip, flip it, and expose the 3/8" opening for the KK grill.

Dennis, are you making the grills heavier than 3/8" thick these days?!?!? :eek:

I think I detect a big "oops" in the future! One thing about the grill floss, the handle is too skinny for my hands, gonna have to make a larger diameter handle. And when I flipped the cleaning head around to fit the 3/8ths grate, I could never get it fastened as tight as it was before, I bought two, one for at home as well as the shop, same results both times.

I flipped mine, and replaced the head with the new one provided by GrillFloss, and it went back tight each time. You still have the lock washer with all the teeth on it in place, right? The only thing i can think of that would make it wiggle is if the hole through the tip, where the screw goes through was cut too big on yours, so there is some play around the screw?

Maybe its just a bad tip...my orginal tip was from a batch of crap SS, and it rusted immediately. The new one is still shiny as can be, so there may be some QC issues at the machinist making the tips.

The head of my grill floss was not particularly tight when delivered. It wasn't loose but the head would still move around a little when you used it and no amount of tightening the screw would take up the slop. So, I pulled the screw and head out and closed up the edges of the handle in my bench vise. I closed it up enough that putting the head back in required a little persuasion (from a mallet). Now the head has no slop. While I was at it I also bent the end of the handle over a little bit so that the angle between the head and handle is more like 115 degrees now (comes pretty close to 90). That gives the handle a little more clearance so I am not banging the lip of the Komodo all the time. So far so good.

Rusting Grill Floss

Mike at Grill Floss said he used a plated cutter head not SS, which he said was a mistake. He sent me a new cutter which was SS. But it could not go in enough to put the bolt in. He sent me a complete new Grill Floss without any charge. Great service.

Grab a magnet' date=' if it sticks its not SS. If it doesn't its stainless.[/quote']

... or aluminum ;-). A magnet test is usually pretty good but there are stainless formulations that a magnet will stick to and there are obviously metals besides stainless that a magnet will not stick to. In this case I would simply say that if it is not rusty or causing your grill surface to rust then don't worry about it.

Thanks, gentlemen - the magnet test is something I can handle. I used the back of my Polder. It didn't stick to the body of the Grillfloss but it sure did stick to the head! It hasn't turned orange either but I really haven't used it yet. I'll send an email to the company and see what's up.

Susan

This is the response I got from Grillfloss. I've also used it a few times now and left it out in the rain and it still hasn't turned orange.

Hi Susan,

Sorry for the delay on this email. The answer is: "Yes" the Cleaning Head is stainless steel. There are many different types of stainless steel, and some are slightly magnetic. The "Cleaning Head" is made with a hardened stainless steel that has much more flex and is very rigid. The steel is similar to a chef knife, if you test kitchen knifes you will find they are also stainless steel and magnetic. I hope this helps.

Happy Grilling,

--

Mike Persichina

Grillfloss - Mpact Products

phone: 310-994-8408

fax: 509-272-0142

www.grillfloss.com