Fetzervalve

How would you change the lower grill?

Honestly cannot remember ever using it.

-=Jasen=-

Even to hold a drip pan?

What's a drip pan? :roll: Probably use one of those about as often as the lower grill (memory fades). Guess if I were doing some type of roast (maybe schweinshaxe) and needed drippings for a gravy. But even then, I could use the upper grill / main grill combo.

-=Jasen=-

I do my steaks and potatoes on the lower grill, and it holds a drip pan sometimes, too...like for the thanksgiving turkey. Sometimes, I wish it had full coverage instead of the opening, but i wouldnt want to have to wrestle a trap door to add smoke wood with a full main grill. Its hard enough to get the main grill door to stay open when the upper grill is in place (you have to move it to the back, open the door, and them move it back forward for the lid to close).

Now, you know what would be cool...if the guy who made the versagrill built it so that it could not only be used as an additional rack, but could be set in (upside down maybe?) to fill the front hole in the lower grill :D

Now, you know what would be cool...if the guy who made the versagrill built it so that it could not only be used as an additional rack, but could be set in (upside down maybe?) to fill the front hole in the lower grill :D

Funny you should mention that, it will work for that, you simply need a hammer and mason's chisel. Start near one side and bust out enough material to conform the the VersaGrill and bodda bing.:lol:

BTW, how often do you find yourself adding smoke wood vs the number of time you would/could benefit from a full coverage lower grill - just ask'n. :?

Hmmm....Adding smoke wood? All the time when I am roasting. I add the wood after the fire is hot before I add the food. The real question is, how often do I add smoke wood when the drip pan or lower grill are in place? Not as often.

When i do a low and slow, which is when i am more likely to have the drip pan in place, I mix the wood through the lump. I do whole chicken fairly regularly, and that needs a drip pan, but for those the birds are on the upper, and the pan is on the main grate. The lower stays out in the cold.

While I can see the benefit of the solid lower, I think it needs to remain open. A trap door would be a nightmare, and would add to my collection of forearm burns. Also, I'm not even sure there is enough room for a door the size of the existing opening to swing open?

A drop in "plug" might be the best bet. Just a patch to set in place which would fill the rack in if needed. It also fits Dennis' desire to make features backward compatible.

Already standard..

Offer a sear/upper grill in place of the lower grill (for new grill buyers). Honestly cannot remember ever using it. Though I am sure it will make parts for an excellent mod one day! :wink:

-=Jasen=-

The current Gen 2.2 comes with an upper/sear grill, a lower grill and the main of course..

We just made that up this morning..

I kinda like this option' date=' and it looks as if you had this up your sleeve for awhile! I ordered can't remember if I ever got the lower grill for the store or not, but I've been using the one from home in it's place. I'd like to order one of these please, do you need an email to make it official?[/quote']

We just made that up this morning.. Please always send me an Email as that's where and how I track and follow up on all customer service items.