cruzmisl

Draft door adjustment?

Hi All,

In an effort to get my cooker as air tight as possible I began looking at the draft door. I laid a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the draft door and seated it in place (first laying down some parchment paper). It's all dried and looks good (hopefully it doesn't get hotter than 650f).

Anyway, when I was looking at the door, it slides into place and when I let go the door seems to "drop" and it leaves a slight gap at the top. I was looking at the draft door tubes and wondering if I could bend the rear of the tubes down towards the floor of the cooker which would in effect make the draft door line up a bit better with the cooker itself. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to go bending stuff and have it snap off in my hand :eek:

Thanks,

Joe

door fit

For the draft door to seal properly, 4 things have to be perfect. The door itself has to be dead flat with no warpage at all. The door opening that is embedded into the body of the cooker has to be dead flat and square. The rods on the door have to be exactly lined up with the tubes. The tubes have to be exactly positioned so the door fits exactly flush when the rods are fully inserted in to the tubes. How Dennis manages to pull this off I don't know. My guess is most doors don't seal perfectly, but well enough. If your cooker can maintain the temp you want, with or without a Stoker or Guru; and if your cooker shuts down when you close your vents, then the door fits well enough.

I wouldn't fool with those tubes, you'll probably make it worse.

Whatever you do, be very careful. You have the potential to do serious damage to your cooker. In order to seal properly there has to be some tension in the draft door mechanism. A little while back I decided to "improve" my draft door by bending the tubes so that the door would slide more freely. While the door did slide better I also totally screwed my temperature control because the door would no longer completely seal. After one cook I reverted my change and I hope I didn't fatigue the welds with all of my bending.

If you are able to control your temperatures properly as well as snuff out the fire at the end of a cook, then I would just leave everything alone.

How to check/adjust your draft door's adjustment

To check fully close the door and press in each of the four corners. It should not move at all. If the right top moves inwards, you would insert a long screwdriver into the right guide tube from the inside of the cooker and GENTLY press DOWN to move the most inside end of the tube.. This will tighten the top right corner. Reverse this to tighten the lower corner..

this will make sense when you're doing this. This is a very small adjustment we're talking about here..