Beeps

#567 in service!!

Hello everyone!!

Dennis - Thank you for your outstanding help and service. I am a BBQ noob and your suffering through my battery of questions and concerns was very much appreciated.

Thanks to all making a great forums community, I've been learning a lot. I'm still working and have questions on temp control, high temps and doing the low and slow.

P.S. I live in Napa, Ca, so if anyone is in the market for a Komado and in the area that would like a preview, please feel free to shoot me a message.

I'll post up pics soon.

I ordered my KK from Dennis during a hectic project at work and I have just now got the time to get going on it and I figured I would share my experience and adventure.

Delivery Day! The driver was intensely curious about what was in the crate.

3875520894_eeda8003ba.jpg

Got the first part of the crate off. Of course I didn't read till after this was all over that the crate comes apart in one piece. One of my neighbors came over and he couldn’t believe it. ‘This is a………cooker?’

3875520926_f0ea28a321.jpg

Now for the hard part - getting it through the garden path.

3875520934_4d144219a5.jpg

Many boards were sacrificed in the move. Sucker is heavy.

3874731779_5c2db65500.jpg

Done deal! All assembled and in it's final resting place. If I ever decide to sell the house, this is coming with it.

3873447704_61d1f9e649.jpg

At first cook, I grilled up a bag of chicken with a simple dry rub from this post -

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

It was beautiful last night and outdoor temps were under 100 deg F so I went and got some fresh King Salmon and dumped it into brine for 20 mins:

3873422704_5ab6efaaa6.jpg

Got some cedar planks soaking, fresh citrus from the garden and some dill:

3873422698_1f7991ff89.jpg

All assembled, zested the limes and finely chopped the dill, applied to the steaks after soaking them with the freshly squeezed lime juice, salt and peppered up:

3873422728_32404763c3.jpg

Got the fire going at a low temp:

3873422714_78e00833cb.jpg

3873422746_845919da95.jpg

I think I left them on a bit too long, was hoping for an opaque medium rare center, check out the juicy fat!!

3873447686_0d3dc93a4c.jpg

Here's when I pulled them! The texture of the fishy had a nice crust from the outside, but almost creamy on the inside, very moist. It was almost spreadable, skin just fell off:

3873447712_f8849d6ac7.jpg

Mmmmmmm!! Wait, what's that biting my leg?!

3873447702_df1cc39720.jpg

Eva of course:

3873447706_62172402da.jpg

It been a good time :)

Great post. thank you.

I think that this is the first time we've had a delivery post that rolled tight into a first cook.. And a home run first cook to boot!

Congrats on the cook and getting our first matte creme cooker built. That KK caused quite a stir in the factory because how great it looked took us all by surprise and storm. Really elegant in person. The tiles are matte and have a stone texture like the matte blue green. Beautiful KK!

Love to see 'um in their new homes too..

Thanks again for the great post!

;);)

If I ever decide to sell the house' date=' this is coming with it. [/quote']

:lol::lol::lol: Have to laugh Beeps as I know you are new to the world of the KK!!! :D We'll let you cook on your new toy for a few days to weeks and see if it doesn't follow you to the ends of the earth if you should need to move! :lol::lol:

This is all in jest of course! Welcome to the forum and thanks for a terrific post with pics! Hope to see more from you soon!

Nice looking cooker, and welcome to the club!

Your picture gave me an idea for Dennis, that I will offer here - Seeing your plywood strips made me think that Dennis could further improve the ease of delivery. He has thought of almost everything by including the crowbar, making the crate easy to remove in one piece, and even including rope to lift the beast.

The crates are made of like 10 inch wide plywood slats, attached to some corner posts. Wouldnt it be sweet if 4 of those slats were made of 1/2" plywood instead of the thin stuff, so that if necessary, you could remove those 4 slats and use them as tracks to roll across uneven surfaces - like grass. You could use 2 at a time as tracks, and leap-frog them forward as you roll off of one and onto the other. Minimal added expense and weight, with huge convenience for people that need it.

Good idea..

Good idea.. I've actually been playing around with building a small ramp to ease getting the KK off the palette which is the only difficult/impossible part of the un-crating to do alone.

Maybe use one of the four 1/2" boards for that also. Maybe attach them with drywall screws to ease getting them off.

;);)

Good idea..

Good idea.. I've actually been playing around with building a small ramp to ease getting the KK off the palette which is the only difficult/impossible part of the un-crating to do alone.

Maybe use one of the four 1/2" boards for that also. Maybe attach them with drywall screws to ease getting them off.

;);)