cruzmisl

Need some computer help...

HI All,

Been out of the game for a while and my Dad needs a new PC. I don't want to build anything I just need to get him something that will run out of the box, will be reasonably quick for the near future and fits within his low budget.

I was considering this

http://www.jr.com/gateway/pe/GTW_SX280003/

or this,

http://www.jr.com/gateway/pe/GTW_DX420009/

any ideas on which is the better value? No games just a standard computer for surfing the net, odd movie etc.

Thanks!

Joe

If I were buying a computer for a family member, especially one that I would have play tech support for, I would buy them a Mac. PCs are simply too much trouble and require too much maintenance to keep them running virus/trojan/malware free. A Mac might be outside your budget but when you take into consideration total cost of ownership and resale value, Macs end up up being a better deal.

Both of the computers you linked to have more than enough power for web browsing and movie watching so I would just pick one based on budget. The first machine has better processor specs and it is a better looking machine IMHO but only you can say whether that is worth $90. If you are going to go the PC route I would wait a little longer to buy a machine. Windows 7 is due out at the end of the month and everything I have read indicates it is much better than Vista. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Once you go Mac...

The day I switched to Mac, I never looked back! Consider, you spent somewhere between 2000 to 4000 for a "grill" because you wanted the best. Well, apply that thinking to your computer purchase, it's worth a few extra bucks to go Mac. They are so much easier to use and hassle free than a PC, those TV ads are actually accurate! I keep one pos PC around the house, and NEVER use it. What I'm talking about is regular consumer use, surfing, email, music, photos and so on. Perhaps there are some specific applications where PC is superior, but I'm unaware. Go to an Apple store and they will show you. Mac is where it's at.

Does MAC make a high-def laptop?

Since nearly every laptop has enough display resolution to handle HD I am going to assume your question refers to the aspect ratio of the display. If that is the case then yes, every Apple laptop (that I am aware of) has a display in the widescreen format. Does that answer the question?

I'm a Mac person, but I've been buying various youngsters in our extended family Dell netbooks. Awesome value for $300, size is nice too. They make a regular laptop look like a 1970's cell phone.

The definition of full monty hi def is 1920 x 1080, a 16 by 9 aspect ratio. For work I always buy Dell monitors that go 1920 x 1200, which is a 16 by 10 aspect ratio. The extra height is nice for documents. This will "letterbox" nicely to 1080 for hi def video. I don't have a TV signal in my NY apartment, and I recently replaced my old tube TV with a $200 Dell 1920 x 1080 monitor, which goes with a $40 up-sampling DVD player, my stereo system, and my Netflix subscription. A vast improvement; anyone who hasn't done so already should get every tube out of their life.

A MacBook is 1280 by 800 native resolution; The MacBook Pro resolutions are 1280 by 800 (13"), 1440 by 900 (15"), and 1920 by 1200 (17"). These are 16 by 10 aspect ratios, which all will "letterbox" to a 16 by 9 aspect ratio. However, only the 17" has the full pixels for hi def as it is defined.

What complicates this is that Macs as of now don't read Blu-Ray disks, which is the only way to deliver this many pixels to a laptop, so any DVD is up-sampling to any of these screen sizes. They all have the horsepower to do this much better than a $40 up-sampling DVD player. Similarly, anyone considering an Apple TV that has the money to fly KK class just ups the ante and buys a Mac mini instead. Over twice the horsepower, and fewer restrictions.

I told Pops that he should get a Mac, then he asked how much so I told him. He laughed and told me to beat it :lol:

Need to remember this is a guy that has a tough time checking his email.

Anyway, I got him the Intel unit. For $430 its pretty tough to beat regardless of the make. Its WAAAY more than he will ever need.

I was looking at the Mac's though and they are hyooge loot.

was looking at the Mac's though and they are hyooge loot.

Hey, people say the same thing about the KK. You can get halfway there for less than half the money if you're tone deaf. Same with Macs.

As a mathematician I am stunned at my good fortune to be alive in the first century of the computer revolution, and I would need to be institutionalized if I dwelled too long on the degree to which Microsoft has ruined that experience for the masses. They're the frozen ground patties of the meat market; the only difference is that the E. Coli don't arrive till you hook up to the net. Macs are rib eye steaks. Linux is brisket, takes work, or great if ground into burgers.

Refurbished/reconditioned Macs.

I usually purchase refurbished/reconditioned Macs.

For myself I get them directly from Apple with full warranty.

These are usually computers that have been returned and refitted with new parts. Great VALUE..

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

For my business, a bit more used, one model back saves you a ton.

http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Notebooks_s/5.htm

I just bought a 30" display from directly from Apple for $1,299 and saved $500 It was indistinguishable from new..

Here's a home run! 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo $499

http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Intel_Core_Duo_1_83GHz_17_iMac_1_0_160GB_p/icd183im171.htm

G518IM171-2.jpg

System configuration:

17" LCD Widescreen Display

1.83GHz Intel Core Duo

1.0GB RAM

160GB Hard Drive

DVD-RW/CD-RW SuperDrive-DL

X1600 video card (128MB)

Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Airport Extreme card

2- FireWire ports

3- USB 2.0 ports

Ethernet port

Built-in iSight

Remote control NOT included

Tested and reconditioned with a 30-day hardware warranty. Ships with OS 10.4 (Tiger) preloaded on hard drive. No additional software has been installed i.e. iLife, iWork, Microsoft Office, Adobe CS. OS disks not included.

The first Macintosh to feature an Intel processor instead of a PowerPC, this Intel iMac operates at higher operating speeds than its previous incarnations and is capable of running both Mac and PC applications. All of this hardware power is merged into the monitor, creating a single all-in-one Intel iMac that promotes creativity for all trades, including art design, media editing, and software programming.

Computer Help

You could buy an inexpensive machine that does not have to be the latest and greatest and have Linux OS installed. Similar operating system to Mac with no cost for software as it is free for the most part. I was going to buy a Mac to get away from Microsoft and all the problems, but changed to Linux and have not had any problems since.

My days with Vista are about over, AT LAST. I just ordered an iMac 21.5.

should have it in a before month end. :):)

Good timing on your part. For anyone else interested in a Mac (or any other Apple product really), be sure to check out the Mac Buyer's Guide before purchasing so you don't get caught buying just before new products are released. Apple has a habit of giving you more for the same price or less that previous products.