Hitman

First Tri-tip cook

My wife was in Trader Joe's, noticed they offered a shrink-wrapped Tri-tip roast, around 2 pounds. It was already marinated and rubbed with spice. We normally avoid shrink-wrapped meats with "20% solution added", but she decided to give it a try.

Cooked it at 350 degrees over direct heat until internal temperature was 105, then tented it under foil while I opened the air vents on the KK, got the temp up to 750. Then back on the sear grill for 90 secconds per side, then tented it again for another 5 minutes. Sliced it very thin, served.

This meat is very tasty, has a nice tangy rub, great meaty flavor. The consistency is very firm, but not really tough or "ropy" like skirt or hanger steak can be. However, it was not butter tender like I've had at some commercial BBQ joints.

I will try again, lower the initial cooking temp to 250 or so, see if I can't coax a little more tenderness out of the meat. I will also take it off the grill at 100 degrees, resulting in a slightly more rare final temp.

BTW, this was my first use of the Thermapen instant read digital thermometer. Great piece of equipment!

Hit, if I can "toot" my own horn a bit I'm pretty good with the tris, have done hundreds of them over the years. For my taste and based on my experience a Tri isn't a good candidate for low temp cooks. When I first started smoking I tried a couple of them and was not happy with the outcome.

If I may, I'd suggest going in-direct @ 350, then pull and reverse sear, excellent results.