Fetzervalve

Reverse Sear (Finney) Beef Tenderloin

Johnny,

Finney is a member on this forum, and he is BBQ champion as well. Info about the reverse sear is here http://www.ironpigbbq.com/Reverse-Sear.html.

I was always a sear/dwell/cook guy, but when I tried the reverse sear, not only was the steak as good, if not better, but it was far easier to do, as I didn't have to wait for all that ceramic mass to come down to 400* after being at lava temps. I am converted, and now I just want to spread the gospel :P

Happy Holidays,

Keith

It was far easier to do' date=' as I didn't have to wait for all that ceramic mass to come down to 400* after being at lava temps.[/quote']

I consider the Finney method to be more work personally. A normal steak cook is a sear followed by a shutdown of the KK (dwell) and then you are done. The Finney method requires lots more juggling and a lot more time. I tried it once and the steak was good but I am not sure I tasted a difference between it and my normal method. Of course, one time is not enough to properly judge. I am pretty sure I read that even Finney himself will do a normal sear when he is pressed for time.

Either way, a reverse sear sounds like a really good idea for a tenderloin since it will be much easier to gauge doneness of the inside that way.

Easy reverse sear

Put the sear grill down on the fire basket, get a good hot fire going. Put the steak up on the middle or top grill and cook til done by internal temp. Put it down on the sear grill for a minute or so on each side. No need to adjust the fire, just the altitude of the meat above the fire! Fast and easy. No need to measure an exact grill temp, just get a good hot fire going, and measure the internal temp of the meat. Easy.

Ronnie_Suburban,a forum member and KK owner, uses the reverse sear method on his prime rib every time. It totally eliminates the "bullseye" look to the roast. Let me try to find the pics on the LTHForum. Here: http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... ib#p233727

Hmm, after actually reading that post he may not have seared it at the end, although I know he has done it in the past and continues to now.

Well I did the reverse sear last night and it worked pretty good. The meat was very soft and didn't shrink as much. It was very good but the one thing I did notice was more of a "charcoal smoke" taste to the meat. I let the cooker come up to temp (250f) for about an hour before I put the meat on. I think since the coal doesn't burn as hot it imparts more smoky flavor. I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not (smoke flavor).

Cruz - This observation makes sense (to me). When we grill a steak or sear any meat, we are immediately bringing the outside temp of the meat to over 140 degrees on the surface. Since the popular belief is that the smoke flavor is imparted onto (into?) the meat at temps at or below 140 degrees, I could see where cooking the meat at a lower temp 'til desired internal temp is achieved THEN searing would impart a more smokey flavor on the meat.

Thoughts on this one folks?