Krypto

Replacing the coal basket in a K #7

Hoping the community may be able to help me out here.

Let me start by saying that I apologize for posting this question in the Cooking General, I hope that somebody here can give me some ideas on how to keep on truckin' in the world of ceramic cookin'. Moderators please move the post if necessary as I am asking for help with a "competing" unit (not that I think it will ever compete against Dennis' awesome product)

About 2 years ago I bought a slightly used #7 and there is one major problem that I have noticed, the coals basket is disintegrating. I noticed it this summer when I took it out t clean the ash and do a bit of maintenance on the unit. I applied the furnace cement on the cracks etc... but next time I checked it big chunks were coming off and the entire basket is barely keeping together. I placed the basket back in it's spot and right now I am afraid to move it.

Do you know of how I may be able to fix the problem? I wrote the manufacturer a number of e-mails asking if I could order a replacement but no response so far.

If you know of a workaround please let me know, I noticed that Dennis is building his out of thick wire. At this time I am scouring ebay and the web for replacement parts if they ever come available but that's about as far as I got in addressing the issues. I am afraid that I will be left without a cooker with the holidays approaching.

Regards,

My neighbor has my "made by a competitor" K7; my beautiful wife bought us a "made by Dennis" KK. World of difference.

However, in my experience a lowly Weber charcoal grate (not the cooking grate) was superior in a K7 to any alternative, including the "OEM" (calm down in the peanut gallery :roll:) fire basket.

Measure the hole. The smaller grate sits lower, for a full load of charcoal for two days of cooking the neighbors' freezer contents after a Florida hurricane kills everyone's power. (Not me, but this did happen...) The larger grate sits higher, to get the fire closer to steaks and such.

Go with the smaller if you're only getting one.