Loquitur

Wagyu Ribeyes... YIPPEE!!!

A client sent me a gift package today of Wagyu ribeye steaks. They were shipped from Allen Brothers, packed in dry ice, and are now in my freezer. They came with a cooking guide which covers all the kinds of meats sold by this company. Their basic recommendation for cooking steaks generally is to sear them first on top of the stove and then roast at 400 deg to desired internal temp. But for the Wagyu, they recommend a "light" sear and subsequent roast at 350 deg. Also, they recommend that the steaks be cooked "au natural" without any seasoning. Any idea why they would recommend cooking the Wagyu steaks at a lower temp than other kinds of steaks? Should I really consider not seasoning the steaks at all??

My inclination is to do these steaks the same way I always do a ribeye - rub with EVOO, S&P, get the KK to lava temps, sear 90 secs per side and rest.

Susan

Hi Susan - Nice gift! (Lucky you!) :D

I can only guess on this one but my sense is that the instructions on the packaging are aimed at an individual that does not have the grilling experience of most of us KK'ers. Again, that is just a guess. I feel fairly confident that you will have great success grilling your steaks as you always have so go forward and take some pics for us!

The general thought on cooking wagyu beef is that the fat melts at such a low temp, the higher the heat the greater the risk of having a tough or chewy steak. personally I have not found this to be true. I have grilled them as I have any other steak and almost cried out of overwhelming joy. This method might differ depending upon the marbling score of the cut. I have had some wagyu steaks that were pretty lousy as far as marbling score...lower than usda choice, those didn't turn out very well even on the KK. If you got these steaks from Allen Brothers, enjoy, they have some of the best, I've gotten stuff from them in the past and have always been pleased.

I've gotten stuff from them in the past and have always been pleased.

Given what they charge for even "normal" steaks I hope you were pleased... 10 times more pleased at the very least given their prices relative to Costco/Wegmans/etc. I have never been able to get over the sticker shock for places like that to even try. It is kinda strange though, they list Harry Caray's Steakhouse as one of their customers but the cost of a steak I had there (cooked with side dishes) was less than the cost of one from the Allen Brothers website. I guess that is the power of volume buying and/or high shipping costs (assuming shipping is included in their prices).

Oh well, good luck with whatever you decide Loquitur.

Top Notch

Allen Brothers sell premium product at a premium price. I rarely buy any for myself, maybe once a year. But I recommend everyone try it, just to see and experience the quality. It does make an excellent gift, and can't be beat for that purpose. You will bring a smile to anyone's face with it! Mother's Day and Father's Day in particular give you a chance to be a real star.

Re: Top Notch

Allen Brothers sell premium product at a premium price. I rarely buy any for myself' date=' maybe once a year. But I recommend everyone try it, just to see and experience the quality. It does make an excellent gift, and can't be beat for that purpose. You will bring a smile to anyone's face with it! Mother's Day and Father's Day in particular give you a chance to be a real star.[/quote']

You'll be needing my address, right :D

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen, they are greatly appreciated. A picture of a frozen steak is attached. I'm thinking maybe I ought to do a reverse sear on these steaks so that the fat has a chance to melt at a low temp. But I'd have to practice on some regular ribeyes first. I've never used this technique before and I would want to be sure I could still have a nice rare steak using the reverse sear.

Susan

JTPzr.jpg

Anyone besides me tried Lobel's?

Charles Simmons :P

Do tell, Charles - what did you buy and how was it?? :question::question: I am making plans to stay in Manhattan for a few days in February and already checked out their website thinking I would make a visit. Talk about sticker shock!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lobels

Anyone besides me tried Lobel's?

Charles Simmons :P

I ordered some steaks from Lobels not long ago. Very expensive, and well worth it..

I sure can't afford it very often, but a couple of times a year, I can swing! But man, it costs a bunch!

I just put it in my head, that a high end meal out for the same number of people would cost about the same. Makes it easier to see the CC statement!

In my experience I have found that wagyu rib eyes were too rich for me. I much prefer a strip or a tenderloin but my favorite is the strip. Having said that I'll take free wagyu ribeyes any day of the week :)

The meat is very expensive but well worth it. Its not an everyday meal but for special occasions its well worth it. My wife doesn't care for it though, she says its too "fatty"