brooker

help identifying kamado type bbq

Hi

I am new to this forum

I have restored a few clay cookers in the past and just purchased something yet to be identified that I am now restoring. If anyone has an extensive knowledge on kamado type barbecues I would appreciate your help. I would like to outfit it with a Digiq but not sure it will work.

I am attempting to identify who the maker was and where it might have come from. It is in remarkably good shape except for some tiles on the outside need to be replaced and the firebox is cracked. Otherwise it is structurally sound and shows little wear. It has a daisy wheel type air intake on the base and a back and forth lever inside the chimney to control air intake. It has a saucer type base with wheels it sits in. It is about the size of a number 5. Looks to be a thick ceramic build. Does anyone have any information they would like to share? thank you for your time...

10yYxr.jpg

I'm not sure, but if this were a game show I'd bet all-in this was work by Richard Johnson, Kamado Corp., from perhaps the 1990s? The design did get a bit more refined later, but not by much. Though I am confused, because the tiles appear to be adhering better than my later model.

As for the tiles, slap a mixture of mortar mix and black cement die onto the bare patches, keep more handy as tiles fall. It will look quite artistic; only people with bones to pick with RJ will contest the post-apocalyptic effect, which will be worthy of a New York gallery. Then drill a hole for a BBQ Guru port (their least expensive controllers work miracles), block the main intake vent if you can't control it, and rest an upside-down terra cotta plant saucer over the dome collar. Perhaps after removing those tiles on top, that will be just enough of a leak for the Guru to do its job for low & slow cooks. You're not going to be able to fashion an adjustable top dome; settler for "saucer on" or "saucer off". They can take a lot of heat (the saucers); I use one as a heat deflector and foil-lined drip pan.

This is a least-effort way to salvage this cooker. I'm not sure you really want to sign on for more; just buy a cooker from Komodo Kamado, if you want one that does everything effortlessly.

thank you kindly for your comments.

I am in the Seattle area (read 'stretches of wet damp weather') so I was surprised at how well the remaining tiles are adhered. No loose ones.

Structurally it is remarkably sound.

My plans are to bolt on a daisy wheel top, should be easy to do because of the flip lever.

sand and repaint the hinge.

replace a few of the castor wheels on base.

drill a hole for a thermometer

repair fire box.

I am not sure how to drill the bbq port you wrote of. I was contemplating sawing out the front base daisy wheel and bolt and seal a slide door over the (large hole)...do you have more detailed instructions for tools and procedure for drilling bbq port? Your way sounds more efficient than mine.

I have to say your art approach to the tile intrigued me lol. I have not replaced tile on a bbq before so am not sure of the materials to use. I still need to research that. The seller gave me a coffee can full of the tile that came off.

sooooo a project.... : )