jdbower

Pulled pork as fake bacon = fakon!

I was in the mood for some arrabiata sauce like I had in Switzerland ages ago, the problem is it had chunks of thick bacon that I've been having a hard time replicating with the thin cut stuff they like to sell here. I tried a basic sauce (tomato sauce, tomato paste, a bit of crushed red pepper, some salt and some sugar) and, lacking bacon, I figured I'd toss in a handful of pulled pork from last weekend's cook with just a hint of liquid smoke (yes, I felt dirty buying it!). Not quite the same thing, but delicious none-the-less!

Do you have a butcher shop nearby that has uncut slab bacon? You could have them slice it to your spec, or just buy a slab, and cut the thickness you like for the recipe. The Meat House, which is closest to me in NH, carries slab bacon, both cured and uncured. If you think you're going to make a drive, call first, as different locations have different items in stock at any given time...