LarryR

Covering your KK

Re: Covering your KK

If only to protect it from UV which will eventually fade pretty much anything including the tiles. The insulation used as the adhesive and grout is UV resistant..

Dennis, I'm assuming you're using glazed tiles on the KK? They shouldn't fade. Dye-sub tiles will fade, and pressed tiles and other forms that aren't fired might fade, but kiln-fired glazed tiles shouldn't really fade. Is it your experience that they do fade, or just going by the "most things fade in the sun" rule?

I've never seen photos of faded tiles on a KK but I have seen tiles from the same factory installed in pools here that were faded. But then again I'm 8º south of the equator so the sun is MUCH more intense here..

I believe with time UV will fade everything..

;);)

I thought I would NOT cover mine, as it is mostly under a balcony. However, I have seen significant dirt accumulation after rains blowing through.

As much as I like looking at her, I like not cleaning her better!

Johnnyboy made me a cover that fits so well I don't feel bad about not seeing her all the time....

And she shines so nice when I pull it off!

:smt023

My KK just arrived yesterday....yes it will be under cover if I can endure my brides disapproval! The cover was ordered and arrived before I even got the KK. To each his own. I live in TX where rain is as common as an honest politician but I want to keep that spankin' new look. All my stuff is treated this way and when it comes time to move something on eBay it goes quickly for top buck.....no plans of selling the KK but you get my point. Did I mention that I sold my old RJ Kamado to the truck driver who delivered my new KK?

He may end up needing a shovel and a wheel barrow to get all the pieces! :D

We gave ours to our next-door-neighbors. To be fair, it looks the same as the day we gave it away, and it works. To be fair again, we also swapped a Mazda that was dissolving into the driveway, and had to be driven around the state with a tankful of Smog-B-Gone to pass inspection, for a new Infiniti. The difference moving from K7 to KK was about the same: Why did we wait?

There's only one good answer to such a question. If you don't wait, you might not make decisive enough a move. We waited till it was clear we wanted a KK, and clear we wanted an Infiniti.

Eagerly awaiting my cover from John (I'm scheduled for the first weekend in Feb.), as today we had a freezing rain that covered the KK in a nice "glaze." I wanted to cook some boneless beef ribs, so undeterred, I decided to see if I could get it open. It did open, but there was a 6" tall wall of ice rising up from the bottom lip of the grill about a 1/4 of the way around the perimeter. However, it was thin and was easily thumped off. The top damper was another story. Wouldn't budge a millimeter, even after knocking off the icicles. So, fired up the grill anyway and pulled the temperature probe plug out of the side of the grill for outflow. Temps came up and settled out right at 220F. After about an hour, I could finally open the top damper. Ribs are happily cooking on the grill right now @ 350F. They say that necessity is the mother of invention!

fetch?id=67394fetch?id=67394 Re: Covering your KK Was surprised to find my new KK cover on the doorstep when I got home from work today. Just in time for tonights snow storm (2 4 by morning). So my KK is now snuggly protected in its new brown cover. NICE! Updated Actually got closer to 6" of snow today. As you can see the KK is doing just fine!

post-7343-139082391288_thumb.jpg

post-7343-13908240385_thumb.jpg

fetch?id=67395

Re: Covering your KK True Brown for me, too, for the Dark Autumn Nebula. There were some better matches for color on the Sunbrella site, but they only came in the 42" width and John needs the 60" material. Too bad, as I could have had ALMOST as attractive a cover as my KK is. No complaints with John's work, I'm just saying.

post-7343-139082403924_thumb.jpg

I am struggling with the cover issue. This thing (just acquired) is so beautiful I want to look at it. Mine is on the east corner of a 2nd floor covered porch facing the ocean (across the street). It gets direct sun in the morning till 9 or 10. After that it is in the shade. Rain does blow in but no direct rain. I realy don't want to cover it. I can imagine the grout will possibly UV fade but not the tile. Don't have any kids to leave it too so why not enjoy the cooking and the visual stimulation as well.