LarryR

Moving the KK

Question on moving the KK to the backyard. I assume they'll drop it in my driveway, from there I'll uncrate and lift off/out with my SO's son and one of his buddies (any tips here are welcome too). From there I'm trying to decide whether it will be better to wheel it around back or carry it as shown HERE. I have concrete sidewalk the entire route.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

I called the trucking co before hand and made sure the driver had a pallett jack---when he delivered it we put it on the jack and pushed it into the yard--It went very stress free---if you don't have the jack and if your driveway is all concrete and pretty smooth it would roll on it's wheels easily

I have done it both ways. The driver will bring it as far as he can on the pallet jack, then it's going to be up to you. The first time around, we just used a hand truck to move the whole thing, in the crate, around the house to the patio. It was through grass and some sand an we got it there with just me and the driver. He tilted the hand truck back and I helped pull the weight along and make sure it didn't tip from the front. No problem.

Second time, driver had no hand truck, and was pretty old, so I had to uncrate in the driveway and carry it as in the picture. Worked fine, too. Be careful though. Moving it with boards can cause the edge of the board

to push into the tile and pop a few off. I think that happened to mguerra, so if you use the boards, put some towels between them and the grill.

Hi Larry:

I was just a witness to the unloading and moving of my KK but from what I could see, carrying it with the 2x4 in the loops would not be all that easy in light of its weight, bulk and shape. Maybe it was just because my moving guys were of different heights but they did test lifts first and each of the guys had to make adjustments - higher, lower, left or right - so it that wouldn't tip. And that was just to move it off the crate onto the ground - nevermind carrying it any distance. The casters are big and swivel easily so I don't see you would have any problem pushing it along a concrete sidewalk. Don't forget, you will be blown away when you uncrate it and a nervous wreck about the possibility of it being damaged while being moved.

My :twocents: - keep it on the ground wherever possible.

Susan

A case of Bud or a bottle of Crown Royal or if push comes to shove a 20 dollar bill should do the job convincing the driver he can handle the job for you. I gave the guy the choice of a case of bud ot a bottle of Crown Royal. He took the Bud. Well this is Redneck Country.

Keep it in the crate. Much safer to handle.

Dennis has designed the crate so it will lift off when you remove 4 heavy duty screws. Piece of cake.

Hope this helps.

Only the base should be carried using the harness..

from what I could see' date=' carrying it with the 2x4 in the loops would not be all that easy in light of its weight, bulk and shape. [/quote']

Only the base (lid removed) sans the firebox and grills should be carried using the harness NOT the entire Komodo..

;);)

I have moved mine fully assembled over a rough stone patio by laying a track of 5/8 plywood. it worked well. if you have to go more than 8 ft, get 2 sheets, or rip one in half long ways. just use 2-3 people to stabilize it as you move it, and have the second piece of plywood tucked under the first one as you move it. there's a lot of mass there, so make sure the trip is pretty level, and don't force it if a wheel gets stuck. It is kinda top heavy and i wouldn't want to try and stop it from tipping if it got moving!! Tom

Re: Moving the KK

Question on moving the KK to the backyard...

If you have concrete all-the-way, I'm with those who recommend the pallet-jack and/or sturdy hand-truck. If you have to get it through some awkward space or over steps, I would tend to use the 2x4 method to carry the crate and not unpack things until you are at the desired location.

When I got my mexi-K, we lifted it off the pallet with forearm-forklifts so it is possible for two people to lift 600 pounds. The forearm-forklift straps are at hardware stores and moving places and are really handy to have around the house as are Teamstraps.

dtLvr.jpg