leejp

Rub... Make or Buy?

Last time I made my own rub was about a year ago... I made a large batch of a Steven Raichlen recipe from his BBQ USA book (which by the way is awful) and have now used it all up. So I need some more and I'm now not sure if making one's own rub is right for me.

For one... I have found it not at all economical/convenient compared to buying prepackaged. We have a well stocked kitchen but almost all rub recipes call for multiple ingredients in smaller sizes/lots. When I made my last batch, I purchased everything to the "least common multiple" of the smallest ingredient and still ended up with a years supply of the rub and a lifetime supply of some of the spices used.

I can understand that for folks who are much more serious than I am and want to experiment, make your own is the ticket. But after a year of the same rub I think I'll go back to buying prepackaged.

You answered it yourself

personally, I buy the bulk spices at the warehouse club for about $4-5 each for a quart size container. Thats only about a $1 more than the small decorative jars you get in the grocery.

I like to make my own rubs. I slather them on quite thick when I do a butt or such, and I just cant see paying +/- $5 for about a cup or two of rub...which is usually half sugar. Plus, its fun to play with the flavors sometimes. But I hear what you said...the last rub I made was not good at all. Kind of bitter on the meat. I hated it, so I will likely toss the remaining half cup. One other reason I have resorted to making my own, is that once I get attached to a rub or sauce - it is undoubtedly discontinued/out of business/ or oterwise unavailable. Now, when I make my own, i will always be able to have it.

Re: Rub... Make or Buy?

Last time I made my own rub was about a year ago... I made a large batch of a Steven Raichlen recipe from his BBQ USA book (which by the way is aweful) and have now used it all up. So I need some more and I'm now not sure if making one's own rub is right for me.

For one... I have found it not at all economical/convenient compared to buying prepackaged. We have a well stocked kitchen but almost all rub recipes call for multiple ingredients in smaller sizes/lots. When I made my last batch, I purchased everything to the "least common multiple" of the smallest ingredient and still ended up with a years supply of the rub and a lifetime supply of some of the spices used.

I can understand that for folks who are much more serious than I am and want to experiment, make your own is the ticket. But after a year of the same rub I think I'll go back to buying prepackaged.

Hey, give Rox's Rub recipe a try. Check in my sauces & rubs thread I posted a few days back. It is a good all around rub.

-=Jasen=-