T Rex

Second KK cook attempt.....Drunken Chicken

My second attempt on the KK was to try a Drunken Chicken. The bird was done at 250F for an hour then at 350F for another 45 minutes or so until the desired internal temperature was achieved. As most of you know, the skin was rubbery however, we don't eat the skin (cosmetics for pictures and flavor) and the meat was incredibly juicy.

20100221_0953.jpg

20100221_0956.jpg

20100221_0958.jpg

20100221_0962.jpg

20100221_0964.jpg

Mrs. T Rex doesn't care for the plate that I usually use in my pictures however we got this plate 32 years ago when we first got married and besides the fact that you can drop it without breaking it, there is a lot of sentimental value......

T Rex

Although tasty..

Although tasty.. I think it's the consensus here that the can or container of liquid is unnecessary in your KK.. And I'm not sure how much of the flavor actually gets into the meat..

I just finished two cooks of Thai stuffed chickens and was shocked at how much water was in the meat of the natural un-brined birds.. (yes I'll post them;-)

But your first two cooks look great.. Thanks for sharing!

;);)

my 2cents on beercan chix; if you can't eat the skin, you're wasting your time. i would stand in line for good chicken skin, as it is the bacon of the poultry world. brine your chicken and roast at higher temps (450 is what i do). spatchcock and start your cook skin down, then flip halfway thru. i generally count on my chix taking 40-50 min at that temp, so i flip around 20 min in. edit - i set up for indirect, fyi. if you want crazy good juicy chicken with crispy skin, brine it!

i know this will get boo'ed, but i NEVER cook chicken low and slow anymore, for a couple reasons. mainly, it's because i covet that crispy chicken skin so, but also i don't like the texture of the bbq chicken as much as the grilled chicken. also ALSO, i don't usually do my birds spatchcocked unless i'm too lazy to break it all down into pieces. it's been happening more lately, as it is so quick to just spatch the cock (heee), and looks great on the grill.

for me, a chicken is just a life support system for chicken skin...

my 2cents on beercan chix; if you can't eat the skin' date=' you're wasting your time. i would stand in line for good chicken skin, as it is the bacon of the poultry world. brine your chicken and roast at higher temps (450 is what i do). spatchcock and start your cook skin down, then flip halfway thru. i generally count on my chix taking 40-50 min at that temp, so i flip around 20 min in. edit - i set up for indirect, fyi..[/quote']

I'm with you on this, Porkchop. I'm much happier with my chicken now that I'm doing it at higher temps. I spatchcock and do it just like you except direct.

Susan

i don't usually do my birds spatchcocked unless i'm too lazy to break it all down into pieces.

When you are REALLY lazy, you just put it on the upper grill - whole, indirect. Put it on at about 400, and letting the temp climb to 450. It takes the same 50-60 mins to cook, just rotate once after 30 mins.

img2066g.jpg