Firemonkey

Chipotle Lime Marinade

This is a nice versatile marinade that I like to use on shrimp and chicken, and usually serve over a salad. I did a batch of shrimp here, but could have also used some chicken breasts, strips, or even a whole bird.

The marinade is more of a thin paste than a liquid, but that makes it nice because as the oil thins and melts away during cooking, it leaves the larger pieces of spice behind to stick.

This is really simple, and a quick prep, too. The recipe below makes a fairly big batch. Half of this amount will be plenty for a pound of shrimp or a couple chicken breasts.

1/4 cup Olive Oil

1/4 cup Lime Juice

1 or 2 Green Onions

4-5 Cloves Garlic

2-3 Canned Chipotle Peppers (adjust to your taste - a little goes a long way!)

Combine everything and grind it all up. The Magic Bullet is perfect for this. Pour over your meat and refrigerate until ready to cook. For shrimp, it only takes an hour or so, chicken takes 3-4 hours.

I like to leave the marinade on the meat when I cook it, and let the ground up chile, onion and garlic char a little on the grill.

img2086p.jpg

img2092n.jpg

img2093c.jpg

img2095tv.jpg

img2096x.jpg

(ignore the hotdogs...my kids dont like shrimp :wink: )

For some reason I keep getting drawn back to this post..... My gut is telling me that I will need a couple more cooks under my belt on the KK before I should attempt this.

I have found shrimp to be unforgiving in terms of cook time. These look so moist yet caramelized at the same time!

Mrs. T Rex tells me to "be patient grasshopper, be patient" There are more than a few members on this forum, that in my opinion, should have their own show on the Food Network Channel.

T Rex

There are more than a few members on this forum, that in my opinion, should have their own show on the Food Network Channel.

T Rex

Sad to say, you are right and not right. The better we are at cooking on our cookers, the more we enjoy our recipes. The more we enjoy our recipes, the less and less we look like network show hosts. They say the camera adds 10 lbs. I say the cooker adds at least 20!

boil flavor

Here's a shrimp tip I posted once before:

Soak some shrimp in a pot of cold water with some pretty concentrated crab boil, for 30 to 60 minutes. If you want you could put a little ice in there, I don't. Put the shrimp in a bbq wok, one of those square slope sided things. Here's where I do things a little different. Usually you cook shrimp pretty fast and get them off the fire. I want them to stay on there just a bit longer to soak up some smoke and BBQ flavor. So get a pretty hot fire going but cook them indirect. You can easily stretch out the cooking time to 15 minutes or more this way, without overcooking them. I cook them with the lid closed and check at the 6 or 7 minute mark, then guesstimate how much longer they need. I'm trying to balance opening the lid to check on them as infrequently as possible against overcooking them. Once you get a feel for it, you will probably only open the cooker twice or thrice. The blend of the boil flavor combined with the charcoal cooking is awesome!!!

eH5dS.jpg

FM' date=' i officially hate you. you may regain my friendship by sending me shrimp and roasted bell peppers forthwith! ;)[/quote']

Nope. But the open invite stands, if you find your way to the Orlando area, I will make you some. Hell, we can even make them an appetizer and make some steaks for the main course!

For some reason I keep getting drawn back to this post..... My gut is telling me that I will need a couple more cooks under my belt on the KK before I should attempt this.

I have found shrimp to be unforgiving in terms of cook time. These look so moist yet caramelized at the same time!

Mrs. T Rex tells me to "be patient grasshopper, be patient" There are more than a few members on this forum, that in my opinion, should have their own show on the Food Network Channel.

T Rex

When the shrimp are picked from your back yard, its no biggie to try it a few times! Actually, they cook fast enough you could just do 3-4 on a skewer at a time, to dial in the temp/time, before you put a full load on. I like to use a HOT fire to get the carmelized bits on the outside.

FM' date=' i officially hate you. you may regain my friendship by sending me shrimp and roasted bell peppers forthwith! ;)[/quote']

Nope. But the open invite stands, if you find your way to the Orlando area, I will make you some. Hell, we can even make them an appetizer and make some steaks for the main course!

I'll bring the steaks! And the invite is reciprocal!

my mom lives in naples, FM, so getting in that vicinity from IL is a distinct possibility. she's been trying to twist my arm to get me to take some vaca down there...

i've been saying/thinking for a long time that this crew needs to get together for a picnic/cookoff/whatever...

:wav:

When the shrimp are picked from your back yard, its no biggie to try it a few times! Actually, they cook fast enough you could just do 3-4 on a skewer at a time, to dial in the temp/time, before you put a full load on. I like to use a HOT fire to get the carmelized bits on the outside.

Thanks FM, if it ever stops raining out here I will give it a go..... if I screw them up, the Van Isle Boyz will be happy. :D:D:D

T Rex