tcoliver

Tony's gas setup on his new KK

I'll chime in here..

Gas I always try to steer people way from it.. First of all it lights too much charcoal for anything other than high temp cooks or searing. Is a big cast iron burner that lights the whole bottom of the charcoal basket when you only need about a tennis ball worth of charcoal for 235º And for low and slow, it's best to light from the top and have your burn travel down into the fuel as opposed to from the bottom and having the new fuel tumble down into it as the charcoal is burned up.

But if you want to come home and grill in minutes it works very well. Tony uses a 10psi regulator and bakes pizza with his at 650º

Just did my first cook with gas on my new KK, its Friday night pizza night. Have to say the new cooker is much more efficient than the old one. Reached 500 deg. very easily and only had the adjustable regulator like half way and I was using the old burner just laying inside the grill while I wait for my new gas option to arrive. I think I could easily reach 800-900 with this setup, anyway pizza turned out great as usual using the gas. Dont fear the gas it is very useful for quick easy cooks and for lighting charcoal. I actually pulled off the valve that comes with the gas option and used a quick connect to connect the hose to the tube. With the valve on the cylinder and the adjustable regulator no need for another valve. Used quick connect for easy removal and to use it for my turkey fryer burner also.

Well this is temporary while I wait for my new burner however I will do the same thing with my new burner it will just be attached to the gas door. I just used a pressure washer quick connect attached to the venturi tube (or whatever). The key is to use a 10psi adjustable regulator. Everything can be bought at Home Depot. Works like a charm. I'll submit some pictures of the flame once I get the new setup. Its a nice blue flame with yellow at the top when opened up.

NCfyr.jpg

Ok6fJ.jpg

Okbf0.jpg

New Setup

Ok, just got my new burner. Got it attached and did a test. Just a couple of things to be sure to check. Make sure the tube, valve and all fittings are free of debris. When I first attached it the flame was very yellow so I started checking things out and found that some of the packing material had gotten in the tube. Took it apart and blasted it with some compressed air, reinstalled and then got a real nice blue flame. Also some of the fittings did not have pipe dope on them, did a quick check with a lighter and sure enough they were leaking. Took it apart, applied pipe dope and tightened down more (thats why valve is upside down). After that was all done I took these pictures. Didn't have time to test in the cooker however my initial thoughts are that this flame is a little weaker however is a nicer blue flame, hopefully that will equate to just as much heat. I like the new valve that comes with these. Still did the same setup with the quick connect as previously shown.

EPbY0.jpg

W75PS.jpg

EPNn9.jpg

nZK_i.jpg

EPZQS.jpg

W7iiA.jpg