LarryR

First KK Ribeye Success!

After a week of travel I couldn't get wait to get home and cook on Hestia. It's my bachelor weekend (SO goes to her mothers one weekend a month) so it was cooks choice and I didn't have to worry about anyone bitching about when the meal would be done etc. Decided to go with an 18 oz CAB ribeye, and I nailed it!

Took the Hestia to 600 dome with a mixture of lump and Rancher, naked sear for 2:00 first side 2:30 second side (seasoned on turn) then moved to the side and dwell'd for 8 minutes. I did end-up opening 1/2 through the dwell to flip her, don't know if others do this but I thought I'd try it.

Very pleased and oh so easy. The only thing I was disappointed about was how short the cook was. I ended-up letting her warm-up very slowly, drank some wine and listened to some music and just took her in at the beginning of my cook . . . come on, you know you did the same when your KK was new :wink:

Here are a few pictures or if you prefer a SLIDESHOW:

Hestia's Warm Glow

th_KKFirstSteak1.jpg

Sear Flip

th_KKFirstSteak2.jpg

Impromptu Plate Warmer

th_KKFirstSteak3.jpg

Dwell Location

th_KKFirstSteak4.jpg

Plated Pre-Blue Cheese

th_KKFirstSteak5.jpg

Topped

th_KKFirstSteak6.jpg

Ready to Eat!

th_KKFirstSteak7.jpg

Re: First KK Ribeye Success!

After a week of travel I couldn't get wait to get home and cook on Hestia.

Yep. I know this feeling well.

I didn't have to worry about anyone bitching about when the meal would be done

Oh yeah, know that one too!

Until they have done some traveling themselves, its hard for people to understand the pure relaxation that comes from something as simple as going home, and grilling a nice steak for dinner. They think I am crazy when I say I would rather forego a $100 steak in a steakhouse to go home and make my own!

The only thing I was disappointed about was how short the cook was.

When I do steaks, I like to bake some potatoes out on the grill, too. Just wipe them down with olive oil, give them a coating of course salt, and put them on a 400 degree fire. Flip them after 20 mins or so to make sure they arent charring. This will up your cook time to 1 hour, which gives me purpose for sitting out in the hammock or on the patio, listening to music, and drinking a couple of glasses of wine. 8)

Move the potatoes to the outside wall of the grill when they are almost done, open the bottom vent to stoke the coals up and commence steak grilling as usual. I generally dont move the steaks off the fire to dwell, but just close the grill down after the flip (only leave the top open half a turn to vent smoke) and leave them right where they were.

I ended-up letting her warm-up very slowly, drank some wine and listened to some music and just took her in at the beginning of my cook . . . come on, you know you did the same when your KK was new

Yeah, I have had mine for a few years now, and I still do that :D

Nice looking steak! I never use the lower grate though. I find the standard grate height gets more than hot enough and I don't burn the outside of my steaks. Maybe if I didn't cut brontosaurus sized steaks I'd be able to use the lower grill :)

I tried it once and the outside was charred but the inside was still raw. I feel I have much more control using the upper grate. The lower grill is perfect for thin cuts though like skirt or flank steaks.

Either way you really can't beat a KK for grilling-there's nothing like it.

nice steaks! the bleu cheese was a nice plus, but i prefer a big pat of butter on top, to melt over the hot steak. i like to keep it simple. big ups for FM's potato suggestion as well. i tend to use a neutral oil like canola, but that's personal preference. the big payoff there is the papery, crisp potato skin, covered with salt crystals and cracked black pepper. if i have the time, some grilled asparagus (or roasted brussels sprouts) and crusty french bread to mop up the juice from that steak...

had my b-day dinner last night. guess what i had!

Did you say BUTTER?

nice steaks! the bleu cheese was a nice plus' date=' but i prefer a big pat of butter on top, to melt over the hot steak.[/quote']

You mean like this? I'll usually do a Worcestershire compound butter but I was out. Need to whip-up a new batch:

th_chimneyII012.jpg

Brussels sprouts huh? I'll have to give them a try.

Hi Larry:

I stumbled on your slideshow that the above picture was in and was fascinated by the shots of searing and finishing the steak over the chimney!! Can you tell me about that - how much lump you used in the chimney, how long it took to sear the steak, what happened to the lump while the steak was finishing, etc? It looks like an alternate way to make a couple of burgers or wursts during the week without firing up the whole KK. I'v actually been thinking about buying a mini green egg for this but the chimney technique might be all I'm looking for. I'm only coking for two and my husband and I like our meat well seared and rare.

Susan

Re: Did you say BUTTER?

You mean like this? I'll usually do a Worcestershire compound butter but I was out. Need to whip-up a new batch:

Brussels sprouts huh? I'll have to give them a try.

you, sir, are a good man! brussels sprouts are my fave for an accompanyment, but roasted not boiled. if you like cabbage, you'll like brussels sprouts, altho they have a more intense flavor.

Hi Larry:

I stumbled on your slideshow that the above picture was in and was fascinated by the shots of searing and finishing the steak over the chimney!! Can you tell me about that - how much lump you used in the chimney, how long it took to sear the steak, what happened to the lump while the steak was finishing, etc? It looks like an alternate way to make a couple of burgers or wursts during the week without firing up the whole KK. I'v actually been thinking about buying a mini green egg for this but the chimney technique might be all I'm looking for. I'm only coking for two and my husband and I like our meat well seared and rare.

Susan

I use about 2/3 chimney of lump and let it burn down until no flames are touching the grill. If memory serves me correctly I sear about 90 seconds each side. In terms of burgers or wursts I think it may be a bit too hot. My 8 yo son loves it when I do one of these cooks as he'll roast marshmallows after I'm done with the coals.

if i have the time' date=' some grilled asparagus (or roasted brussels sprouts) and crusty french bread to mop up the juice from that steak...[/quote']

On these recommendations I picked-up some brussel sprouts today to go along with some asparagus and cedar planked salmon. I think I'll brush them with olive oil, season and grill. I'll let you guys know what I think.