inacoma

Wider Charcoal Basket insert (for grilling only)

Re: never been called the manufacturer!

Point taken :) I will experiment some more without my grate...don't want to upset the MFG!!!

Kumar

Yeowch.. never been called the manufacturer! The walls are just 3/4" of dense refractory hot face compared to more than 21/2" firebox which can expand and contract freely up to 1,500º in the charcoal.. The done temp is a far cry from the actual heat down in the raging charcoal.

;);)

Maybe the "mfg" can crate an extended firebox insert (one that sits on top of the current firefox and is deep enough that it reaches the bottom of the lower grate :) That would actually work out very nicely. I know I'm not the only one with this heartburn :) Then I could use my Weber grill grate for coals (limiting the fuel burn with less coals) and not worry anyone about the temperature increase (PS...I tagged the temperature at the coals with an infrared at 450-650 degrees prior).

Kumar

You have an '06 Supreme OTB with only a 1/4" main grill

I have to sympathize with the issue inacoma is trying to solve.

:eek: for a while there I thought I was a man alone upon an island!

There are a couple of other issues here..

You have an '06 Supreme OTB this came with only a 1/4" main grill..

Today all KKs come with three layers of 3/8" grills.. 3/8" rod is 66% more volume than the 1/4" rod.. so for searing you have much more heat which cools much slower and heat soaks much faster..

When the big bad 3/8" upper/sear grill combo is reversed and put down above the coals believe me you have no problem getting grill lines.. At 600º dome it's way over a 1000º down there.. better be using long gloves as fat flare ups can be absolutely dangerous.. I'll have more of those big bad 3/8" upper grills.

Give one a spin and then get back to me..

;);)

Hey Cruzmisl, I am waiting with anticipation for your tutorial on doing Rib-eyes. I bought some at Costco the other day however, it was pouring rain out here so I ended up doing a "wham bam thank you mam" on the Weber gasser........... Mrs. T Rex voiced disappointment however I have not yet seared anything on the KK.... :(

Your tutorial on doing Pulled Pork was excellent and I followed it to the T with very good success. :D:D

Sooooooooo, will I be eating steak this weekend?

T Rex