tlinder

How to get the KK home and on the balcony

As allready mentioned in the Pipeline category my KK classic is on the way to Switzerland. There are 2 things that bother me now:

1. How to get it home?

I have a Toyota Hiace at work, that I could use for the transport. What is the height of the crate? Or can I place the crate flat into the bus (probably not)? How many people do I need to get the grill on the bus?

2. How to get it onto the balcony on the second floor of our house?

I will probably take the grill out of the crate and then take of the damper top and take out all the extras. Can I also take out the firebox to save weight? Are 3 strong guys enought to get the base of the KK upstairs (it's a steep and narrow staircase, so more than 3 can't help)?

Thank you for your superappreciated tipps!

with best regards

Tobias

How to get the KK home and on the balcony

Is there really not one person who can give me tipps concerning my questions?

Nobody who knows the measures of a Komodo crate?

Till now I had the idea that the members of this forum have an answer to every question imaginable :lol:

Can you post some pictures...

Can you post some photos of the stairs, deck... along with dimensions?

I can't find it now but Dennis had a post a while back w.r.t. the dome being easy to remove for moving. So take everything out of the base (grill, firebox...) and remove the top and your weight is significantly redoced.

With the top removed, if ytou can lay the base unit down on a dolly/hand truck, I suspect 3 big guys can roll it up even a steep set of stairs.

Re: How to get the KK home and on the balcony

Is there really not one person who can give me tipps concerning my questions?

Nobody who knows the measures of a Komodo crate?

Till now I had the idea that the members of this forum have an answer to every question imaginable :lol:

Sorry bud, I saw it but I don't have one yet so I cannot answer too well. But like leejp, I have seen something about taking the entire thing apart to lighten. That would be your best option - remove lid, all grills, and firebox and I am sure three people can get it. My old K was heavier and 4 dudes lifted the entire unit off the back of a truck (that is what the guy who bought it told me as I made a ramp to get it on his truck).

-=Jasen=-

ideas -

First, you will want to promise some tasty BBQ for your biggest, strongest friends. Then, when they are properly motivated...

If you can fit enough muscle in the stairwell to carry it, that will be easiest. But if not, maybe leave it in the crate, and get yourself a piece of strong plywood, and a couple of 2x4s. Use the 2x4s as rails, by setting them (wide side up) on the stairs. Be sure to firmly wedge the bottom to the floor.

Then use a dolly to get the crated KK to the bottom of the stairs. set your plywood on the 2x4s to use as a sled. Gently tilt the crate onto the plywood sled, you might need to screw a few cleats tot he plywood to keep the crate from sliding. Wrap a rope around the crate and pull / push it up the stairs. That would be my plan...your mileage may vary.

The KK does come apart very easily so it should make the job much simpler. Unfortunately you must uncrate it first wherever you pick it up. I wouldn't suggest tilting it on its side, may cause harmfull stress. Two people should easily be able to pick up each half after all items are removed from the inside.

Knock down and move in two pieces...

Your cooker is designed to be broken down very easily...

Remove the stainless cover and then loosen and remove the large bolt that is at the bottom of the hinge's spring with the supplied 19mm socket wrench. Next you want to pull out the cotter pin from the left side of the hinges pivot shaft. Now tap out the shaft... the top half is now free of the lower.. your Classic top half weighs 43kgs (96lbs) and although heavy is manageable.

The lower half weighs 115kg (253lbs) and comes with a blue nylon rope harness that can be used to pick it up either with 5cm X 10cm wood boards (2"x4") or by hand. I always recommend using a refrigerator dolly that has canvas straps when possible..

Thank you very much for your help. I love this forum!

We will first try levitation (thank you Sammy!) and if this does not work take the Komodo apart and then we should be able to move it upstairs.

I will of course publish pictures of the whole moving event that should happen somewhen in the next 3 weeks.

Tobias

...We will first try levitation (thank you Sammy!) and if this does not work take the Komodo apart and then we should be able to move it upstairs.

I will of course publish pictures of the whole moving event ...

Don't forget the photos of the levitation part! ;) The Amazing Kreskin always took pictures, and he had nuthin as interesting to work with as a ceramic cooker.

Re: Knock down and move in two pieces...

....The lower half weighs 115kg (253lbs) and comes with a blue nylon rope harness that can be used to pick it up either with 5cm X 10cm wood boards (2"x4") or by hand...

Dennis, could we see a photo of a kk or a kk bottom supported by the harness? I found moving my Sacro-K a dreadful experience. I live in fear of repeating that move so I would love to see what you've come up with.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Knock down and move in two pieces...

....The lower half weighs 115kg (253lbs) and comes with a blue nylon rope harness that can be used to pick it up either with 5cm X 10cm wood boards (2"x4") or by hand...

Dennis, could we see a photo of a kk or a kk bottom supported by the harness? I found moving my Sacro-K a dreadful experience. I live in fear of repeating that move so I would love to see what you've come up with.

Thanks in advance.

Do you really need that with one of those little green things you have?? hehehehe :shock:

-=Jasen=-

Knock down and move in two pieces...

How to remove the top half of your Komodo..

Open the top and release the spring tension and remove the large bolt using the 19mm socket wrench supplied with your cooker.

KnockDwn1.jpg

KnockDwn2.jpg

remove this large bolt

KnockDwn4.jpg

Remove the spring...

KnockDwn3.jpg

Remove the clip

KnockDwn5.jpg

Tap and remove the shaft...

KnockDwn5a.jpg

KnockDwn6.jpg

Now the top can be removed and easily carried

KnockDwn7.jpg

The lower half can be carried using the supplied harness

KnockDwn8.jpg

Nice work. Now make sure Drunk_J puts this pictorial somewhere that we can find it later :D . Not really sure he's earned a single one of his paychecks to date :cry:

Oh, I see you had to put it somewhere yourself. See what I mean about DJ :?

Hey, at least I stickied it in the feature section - :P

-=Jasen=-