LarryR

First KK Rib Cook, EXTRAORDINARY

I just finished my first KK rib cook and I've got to say I'm impressed. I've done many rib cooks, most of them great but nothing like this and this easy. I'm so impressed. Rubbed, threw them on, went to my son's baseball practice, came home and opened the KK for the first time to check on them 6:20 into the cook (this was the first and only time I opened her) and they were perfectly done. Are you kidding me? Perfectly done, meat came cleanly off the bone with a gentle tug, moist, tender, excellent smoke flavor.

Sauced 1 rack with Sweet Baby Rays, dredged the other in equal parts water and vinegar then dusted with rub (the later were for me). So easy and so good. Foil, who needs foil LMAO!!

Here are a few pictures and a SLIDESHOW

th_FirstKKRibs1.jpg

th_FirstKKRibs6.jpg

th_FirstKKRibs9.jpg

th_FirstKKRibs10.jpg

Dry Rack

th_FirstKKRibs13.jpg

th_FirstKKRibs14.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting

th_FirstKKRibs15.jpg

Fuel

Clean-up today and noticed I only used about 2/3 (if that) of the Weber chimney of Rancher I started with. Hard to tell depth from the picture but between 3 and 7 the fuel was barely touched.

I'm no BBQ expert but as I mentioned I've done my fair share of Qing and I can tell you it would have been damn tough to reproduce these results on my other cooker, especially with the lack of effort required on the KK; I put them on and took them off, that was it, are you kidding me LOL.

Funny, SO just walked in and the first thing she said to me was, "I still can't believe how good those ribs were last night."

I also really liked Chris Lilly's technique of dredging the ribs in vinegar and water then dusting with additional rubs for dry ribs. This really allowed the great rub I used to come through (it's in the recipe section and I HIGHLY recommend) vs covering it with a sweet sauce. I've been a dry rib fan for years and this method kicked dry ribs up just a notch in my book.

th_FirstKKRibsFuelEnd.jpg

Re: First KK Rib Cook, EXTRAORDINARY

See here

That's actually the post I was thinking of when I wrote that. I've foiled many a rib in my day for guests who want "fall off the bone" doneness. In my opinion, unless foiling is something you do on a regular basis it's very easy to ruin a rib with foiling, eg. mushy or meat that won't stay on the bone when slicing ribs. Maybe I just got lucky on my first effort with the KK but these ribs were far superior than any foiled rib I've done and had the tenderness and pull off the bone quality that I like and I think will satisfy my guest who want "fall off the bone" ribs. If not I'll foil a rack or two just for them but keep mine out of foil please :D (at least until I lose my teeth lol).