qundoy

New from N Texas

Pulled the trigger and joined the club of 2K owners. I have ordered a Gen II Levi blue, and according to the rules I had to go thru to get here its probably not acceptable to truly state how excited I am about this purchase. I am glad to be here and will surely have a lot of questions and am looking forward to learning bigger, better, grander, extreme, Q cooking on the KK.

Dennis, you replied to email in a couple of hours, but the personal phone call to me at 3:30 AM Bali time is over the top. IMPRESSIVE. WOW, I was ready to order the unit as soon as the conversation ended. Thank you.

I can almost taste it now

Im pretty damned excited' date=' will set the pad and lay the tile this weekend for her permanent home. I wanted the pebble tiles but i live in the HOW (house of women) and was over ruled.[/quote']

Suck it up Princess (Qundoy) ;) , I have lived in a HOW house for the past 32 years..... and there are worst places... :D Sounds like the KK will have a nice home, please post pictures when all is done. The color of tile that you choose is one of my favorite, I would love to see one first hand.

T Rex

Welcome!

My favorite barbecue book is

Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses

You don't actually follow the recipes, you channel the pit bosses and cook for yourself.

One lesson that we're also learning piecemeal here is that 220 F need not be a low & slow religious tenet, pretty much everyone in Texas works out barbecue technique for themselves, adapting to their exact cooker (and what happens to the fire when they close the store at night, yada yada). That's exactly the right perspective for a new KK owner. Look in particular for the threads here on cooking brisket at higher temps. Though do start out cooking pork butt at the classic 18 to 20 hours at 220 F till it falls apart, and only then play with shorter times, higher temps, and not as cooked when you stop.

This book also got me out of a "sauce makes the 'cue" perspective. I'd never seen the merits of a 12 ingredient sweet glaze on indifferent price club ribs, but this book leans further in the "salt, pepper, and smoke" direction than any other book I've seen. All the rest form a tight American cooking genre that leans toward assembling processed foods, as if one could actually assert one's personality and rule one's suburban back yard through buying choices. We eat whole foods, even grinding our own flour (no more difficult than grinding coffee, with the right equipment), and the Texas book best fits our temperament.

Equally important, the KK is a very flexible oven that can be used as a barbecue pit. It's not a barbecue pit, per se. Follow any book that tells you how to use an oven. (One favorite of mine is Ranjit Rai's Tandoor: the Great Indian Barbecue.) Or no book at all.

BOOKS OF INTEREST

I would agree the two books I enjoy are: Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly and Legends of Texas Barbecue by Robb Walsh. I enjoy the history and stories very much. Another book of interest is Steven Raichlen's book Barbacue Bible-Sauces, Rubs and Marinades. I know there has to be 1000's of BBQ books out there, but I think you can only get hints of how to from any of them. What ever you are useing to cook on there is a learning curve you can only master with trial and error. I'm not good on experimenting-I WANT A BOOK DEALING ONLY WITH CERAMIC COOKERS, so boys and girls get busy and do a KK BBQ BOOK and I will buy several copies.