plaiming

No pressue on propane gas burner

The gas attachment on my KK is not working properly. I have a standard LP regulator and have checked the valve and adapter to make sure there is

nothing clogging it. I also went to local Lowes to get proper fitting.

The propane comes out of the burner very slow and I get a very weak flame. I have tried attaching the exact same tank with same regulator to a turkey fryer burner and I get a nice solid flame.

Anyone had a simliar issue?

Re: No pressue on propane gas burner

The gas attachment on my KK is not working properly. I have a standard LP regulator and have checked the valve and adapter to make sure there is

nothing clogging it. I also went to local Lowes to get proper fitting.

The propane comes out of the burner very slow and I get a very weak flame. I have tried attaching the exact same tank with same regulator to a turkey fryer burner and I get a nice solid flame.

Anyone had a simliar issue?

Might wanna check that there is a jet orifice installed. Should be a tiny hole at the end of the gas line, opening into the burner bell (air-gas mixing area). Otherwise you will not develop the pressure. If it is there, you may try adjustments.

Here are some pics (old ones). http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1515

It may be working as expected. My burner lights with a relatively weak flame compared to an actual cooking flame from my wok burner. It also operates at 1psi (typically a silver regulator) instead of the 10psi (red regulator) my wok uses. But it still gets the job done, it's designed to light the bottom of the charcoal basket evenly and I'm not sure a larger flame in that confined space would do much of a faster job.

However it's kind of hard to compare - gas flames don't photograph well so your "weak flame" may actually be weak compared to mine. There's a brass assembly in the burner, you can try adjusting the various gaps to see if that helps. I had an air intake sealed almost shut and it caused me to have issues lighting the flame until I adjusted it. Similarly, if you have it open too much it may also cause issues but luckily there's a wide margin of "works just fine." My flames are less than an inch tall and don't have the same sound at all as my cooking burner but it lights the charcoal just fine.

I certainly hope this is not the case. I used the gas on my old K#7 and it the flame was strong enough to get temps up near 4-500F. This flame is so weak it might raise the temps up to 200 or so. Ill try to take a picture tonight.

Arg..cant post pictures yet. I will as soon as my account allows....

This happened to me on my mexiK. If you have the newer style of propane tank with the required overflill prevention device (OPD-fitted tanks have a triangular valve knob) you may be being hit by the second feature of the device - preventing fuel from gushing out if the tank is not hooked up to something. I have found that I have to crack the tank-valve open very, very slowly to avoid activating the device.

I originally tried to return the tank as defective but learned how to use it. I now know the teltale signs. If I open the valve too quickly I will hear a "click" and will get almost no gas flow. If I crack it slowly I can hear a rattle as I start to open the valve and the first bit of gas rushes into the line but the noise will stop after the line is filled.

When I accidentally trip the device, I have to shut off the valve and wait a few seconds for a "click" as the device resets then reopen the valve.

I probably have to be extra careful as I turn on the gas at the tank when lighting the burner and turn it off at the tank when done - the burner valve is always open. If I turned off the gas at the burner valve I might not need to be so careful.

So try turning off your burner valve and tank valve then sloooooowly crack open the tank valve. Then try the burner again.

I had this same problem, trying to figure out what the best way is to turn on and off. I have the addition of the adjustable regulator and have found so far that the best way is to us the adjustable regulator as my on off at the tank and open the burner valve first then the regulator valve. I was thinking that if you don't have the adjustabe regulator the best way would be to open the burner valve then the tank valve and when shutting down close the tank valve then burner valve. Damn safety mechanisms!!

My flame looks nothing even close to the pictures posted above. Its a very weak flame that you can barely tell that is lit.

When I slowly turn on the gas, there is no click or anything from the regulator. In fact, you can not even hear any hissing of gas at all.

I will see if I can post pictures now.

I would take it to the local gas company and have them check out the regulator. They usually only charge for parts if needed.

Great idea - chances are it's just adjusting the burner a bit or cleaning out a burr in the orifice but that sort of thing is a bit hard to explain over the Internet. I've also found that in addition to a better selection of firemaking toys the local propane shop is cheaper than going to Home Despot.

I can't tell for sure from the pics, but is the air mix cover over the burner throat (bell looking area) still in place? If so, take that completely off or open it fully as you do not need it and it could be cutting off air from entering the mixing area. If you look at my pics, mine is removed.

-=Jasen=-

How long had the burner been sitting since the last time you used it? I have a turkey fryer that sits outside and I only use it once or twice a year and I have found that some times cobwebs dirt etc get into the lines. I typically blow them out with compressed air before I use it. Just a thought...???