Spattznatt

Moving a KK

Greeting everyone,

I am looking into getting a ceramic cooker and ultimately I would like to get a KK. However, I see a move in the next 1-2 years do to my employment. Reading the forum about the original packing of a KK and the occasional injury during the shipping I was wondering if anyone has moved a KK long distance. If so, how did you get it moved and what hints do you have for a potential future owner.

My other thoughts are to buy another ceramic cooker for that time and sell it before the move. Then once I am settled in at the new place get the real cooker.

Thank you for all your help,

Spattz

Re: Moving a KK

Greeting everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has moved a KK long distance. If so, how did you get it moved and what hints do you have for a potential future owner.

Spattz

Yes, I send them all over the world..

;);)

To open your KK crate, you just remove the two lag bolts at the base of each post. The crate then lifts up and off the palette. If you take notes and keep the crate and packing materials you will be able to use the original crate again and again..

Welcome to the forum..

;);)

I painted part of one leg and the corner when my KK arrived.

Three months later when we moved I reviewed the pictures we took as we did the disassemble. Put it all back together and realigned the cover. Piece of cake.

Don't wait buy now and enjoy. Glad I did.

I just moved one from Florida to D.C. in a uhaul trailer. No problems at all. We tilted the trailer backwards until it hit the ground, lifted to legs up into the trailer, rolled it forward and lifted the other two legs up. That little lift up and down is really the only challenge to moving them. The wheels handle the rest.

I used to own K from Mexico, but that did not work out. I just moved into my new place and found one that might work for me. I'm thinking about getting a used KK. The price seems reasonable, but I have concerns about moving it. The owner does not have the orginal crate any longer. What is the best process, I would only have to travel about 40 miles back to my house. I can either use my pick-up truck or a landscape trailer. I worry given the height it can easily flip over. How can I strap it down?

Thanks for the help and hopefully by next week I will be joining the KK army making great BBQ :P

if you have a way to transport it with the lid removed( I recommend it) you can defo move it in a truck or van. I've done it with my jeep wrangler from my place to downtown Chicago a few times, the trip home it was in one piece, still smoking ! with good ratchet straps it works very well. Carefully remove the racks, and drive conservatively you can do this. Bring a couple of guys with you and it makes the chore a whole lot easier. Search the forum for pics and methods of lifting. Not as tough as you would think, good luck, buy that thing and you won't be sorry!

From the users manual!

Open the lid to release the spring tension, remove the 19mm from the bottom of the spring completly releasing any spring tension.

Gently close the lid and remove the hinge assembly. use needle nose pliersto remove the retaining clips then use a hammer and a screwdriver to remove the hinge pin.

Dennis recommends two people remove the lid as it is very heavy, over 100 lbs.

Hope this helps,

Mark