mguerra

heat deflector

One side of the heat deflector has a curved edge, the other side has a flat edge. I have been putting mine curved side down on the charcoal basket handles, flat side up. I'm sure it can't make a difference, but, just for the sake of pure inane mental masturbation, how do ya'll place yours? A totally useless topic, but let's see how it plays out!

I had wrapped mine in foil for a while to keep it clean of drips and juices.

Due to the sheer amount of use however, it became a nuisance to re wrap foil to keep the heat deflector 'clean'.

Now mine is a beautiful black just like the rest of the interior. I flip it over after cooks, with vents wide open to burn off the bits.

I think being lazy was my motivation :P

heat deflector

Ihave never taken mine out of the pan it came in. I have always just set it down, pan and all, right on top of the basket. Recently, a top thin layer of refractory material just flaked off like a thin top crust, but I just peeled that stuff off and there does not seem to be any untoward effects from that.

Doing a nice pork shoulder rightnow.

BTW, every person with a KK must try Chris Lilly's Championship pork shoulder recipe from his book. Since I did that last year, I get regular requests for is all year long. That, and the roasting pan chicken. Awesome stuff.