lee grabowski

Question about the temperature to cook a pork roast to

Hello,

After reading about cooking pork on this site, I cooked a pork roast to 195 degrees internal temp., it came out very dry inside. I did not brine it before cooking, but did use a rub.

I want to try this again. Should I brine it? What internal temperature should I cook this next pork roast to? What KK dome temp?

Thank You Lee

If memory serves me correctly I pull my pork loins around 125 - 130 and then rest and allow internal temp to come-up another 10 or so degrees. 195 would be for much fattier cuts of pork like a shoulder or picnic.

Due to a loin being such a lean piece of meat I personally see no real benefit of cooking low and slow so i do mine around 350 dome temp.

Hope this helps.

which?

Exactly what cut are you cooking? A pork shoulder roast, that is to say a Boston Butt or a Picnic needs cooking to 185 to 200. As Larry said a tenderloin will finish at a much lower temp and you should cook it at a hotter fire temp. There are a few other cuts as well, which one are you doing?

Or you can post a picture (preferably with something to scale or a weight).

Cooking to 195 or so is great pulling temperature, most people here reserve that for shoulders and butts but I actually do my loins that way as well with a thin vinegar sauce - if you were to serve that sliced I can understand why it wouldn't be a winner.

Tenderloin I either do as a roast like Larry suggested (about 350 dome temp and someplace around 130 sounds about right) or I'll slice it up for porkchops at grilling temps (500 or so until it's just a little pink in the middle) - but I have to admit I also have been known to braise them inside with apple juice, apple cider vinegar, a bit of soy sauce or Worcestershire and slivered onions. Now I'm hungry again and I just ate!