Andrew

#666 is here! (and one question)

Thermometer

Hello,

How do you mean loosely? Mine fit just right into the little hole in the dome, then there is a clip to put on the inside.

I would not silicone it because this is how I use mine: I put the set temp. (for instance 300 deg. F) at 12:00. then in just a glance I can tell what the KK dome temp. is, therefore I am always rotating mine to a new temp.

Also make sure that the dome top latch is down to the second locking point. On my first cook I didn"t push down hard enough on it, so the temp was hard to control.

If there was no manual Dennis will email you one.

Hope this helps. These were some of my first lessons.

Lee

Thanks all. It was 95 in the shade, and the cooker was in the sun.

I must have had heat stroke because I had the clip on the outside

of the dome! Works perfectly on the inside.

I am about to brave the heat again and start the first fire...

Whole chicken. I am not sure if I should use the drip pan or

heat shield. I do not think I should use both.

ah

Hi Andrew - should be a clip that goes on the backside of the thermometer to hold it in place. This same clip can be used to hold the thermometer on a pan when calibrating the thermometer.

Here's the site so you can see a pic of the clip:

http://www.teltru.com/s-136-big-green-e ... meter.aspx

How does one calibrate? I took a quick look at the TelTru site, but

all I found were calibration machines, which seem like overkill.

Thanks,

ah

Here you go:

Place distilled water in a container and heat.

► After the water in the container has reached a complete “rolling†boil, insert the instrument to the appropriate immersion depth.

► Be sure there is at least a two-inch clearance between the stem or sensing element and the bottom and sides of the container.

► If your thermometer is not accurate within +/- 2°F of 212°F., adjust thermometer accordingly. The boiling point method permits calibration to within 1.0°F.

So, if you need to calibrate the Tel-Tru, wear some gloves to hold the dial firmly and use a small wrench to turn the nut on the back of the Tel-Tru. You want to dial in at 212°F. 8)

Here you go:

Place distilled water in a container and heat.

► After the water in the container has reached a complete “rolling†boil, insert the instrument to the appropriate immersion depth.

► Be sure there is at least a two-inch clearance between the stem or sensing element and the bottom and sides of the container.

► If your thermometer is not accurate within +/- 2°F of 212°F., adjust thermometer accordingly. The boiling point method permits calibration to within 1.0°F.

So, if you need to calibrate the Tel-Tru, wear some gloves to hold the dial firmly and use a small wrench to turn the nut on the back of the Tel-Tru. You want to dial in at 212°F. 8)

Thanks. Sounds simple enough,I do not need to adjust for altitude.

I do not need to, as my kitchen elevation is about 100'. I hope no asteroids plunk down in the Atlantic, or the KK and we will be fish food!

Do people find they need to calibrate the Tel-Tru?

calibrate

The boiling point of water varies with altitude and barometric pressure. The average BP of water at my altitude, 1700 feet, is 207.5 across the normal range of barometric pressures here. There are very simple boiling point correcting solutions on the web, you just plug in your altitude and barometer reading. Simply plug in a typical lowest pressure number, say 29.50, and your altitude, to get the low reading and your typical highest pressure, say 30.50, and your altitude to get your high reading. Those pressures represent a pretty good typical spread of barometer readings for almost anywhere in the world. Your resulting numbers will be about a 2 degree difference between your highest and lowest boiling points. Average those numbers to calibrate your thermometer. Your number will NOT be 212 unless you live at sea level.

Re: calibrate

The boiling point of water varies with altitude and barometric pressure. The average BP of water at my altitude' date=' 1700 feet, is 207.5 across the normal range of barometric pressures here. There are very simple boiling point correcting solutions on the web, you just plug in your altitude and barometer reading. Simply plug in a typical lowest pressure number, say 29.50, and your altitude, to get the low reading and your typical highest pressure, say 30.50, and your altitude to get your high reading. Those pressures represent a pretty good typical spread of barometer readings for almost anywhere in the world. Your resulting numbers will be about a 2 degree difference between your highest and lowest boiling points. Average those numbers to calibrate your thermometer. Your number will NOT be 212 unless you live at sea level.[/quote']

I live at 80', so 212 should work well for me in normal weather.

Today it might have been a bit lower, we had a wild thunderstorm during

my first post KK move cook. When I was out later, they had earth movers

clearing out a low point under a bridge beneath a big hill --- about a foot

of dirt washed down there. The KK didn't mind a bit.