Majestik

Spatchcock Trial

Alright, I took the plunge. Grabbed a couple of chix at BJs on the way home. Removed their spines, flattened 'em breast up and rubbed down with a quick mix of brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, old bay, black pepper, chili powder and paprika.

img5966bw2.jpg

That's right, chickens, you've been spatchcocked!

Let these guys bake with mesquite chips for smoke and a drip pan full of chopped onions and white wine (not that that would do any good, but it was time to throw out both the wine and the onions anyway, so why not?).

img5972vh5.jpg

Thar she blows!

The trusty K blowing smoke there. Kept these at about 350F for an hour or so...

img5978dz3.jpg

Yeah baby... looking goooooood.

Mopped them down with apple cider vinegar solution containing brown sugar, black pepper and old bay. And then bumped up the temp to 450F for the last half-hour til the breast read 180F.

img5981kk9.jpg

Man, these were some tasty birds. As juicy as any beer-butt I've done. The rub/mop combination made for a delectible sweet spicy crust and the meat was literally falling off the bone. Yeah, I'd do this again, definitely. One of the things I really liked was how easy it was to "carve" afterwards... the pieces just came apart and were easily divied up.

Thanks everyone for your help!

--Mike

Old Bay and Tony Chachere Season are two of my favorites! And Mike that looks great!!

Hey Firemonkey, try mixing your season half and half with sugar, then sprinkle over fresh hot fries!! It sounds like it would just be wrong - but it is the best french fry season I have ever tried!! I use the Tony Chachere cajun season, kick it up with red pepper and then add the sugar - Mmmmm good!

-=Jasen=-

Re: Old Bay

We would get along just fine. Definitely one of the treasures of the spice cabinet. Some potato fries covered with Old Bay and splashed with cider vinegar would go great with those chickens!

Now you're talking... just discovered the stuff and it is now a staple item in our house. And the fries idea... dang, is it dinner time yet?

:P